K-10 bus service to resume regular schedule; U-Pass offered to UMKC, MCC, KCAI students

A popular Johnson County bus route will resume its regular schedule on Monday, now that school is back in session.
A popular Johnson County bus route will resume its regular schedule on Monday, now that school is back in session. File photo

A popular Johnson County bus service that connects Overland Park and Lawrence via Kansas 10 will resume its regular operating schedule on Monday.

The Kansas City Area Transportation Authority announced Thursday that with the return of students to college campuses for fall classes, the 710 K-10 Connector will begin running from 6 a.m. to 7:20 p.m. Monday. Buses will run every half-hour during the morning and afternoon rush hours and every hour during midday.

Buses will also run hourly from 7:10 p.m. until 11:20 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The last westbound trip will leave at 10:10 p.m. from the Johnson County Community College. The last eastbound trip will leave at 9:20 p.m. from Irving Hill Road and Naismith Drive on the University of Kansas campus.

The route stops including Johnson County Community College’s Carlsen Center, the University of Kansas Edwards Campus in Overland Park, two stops on the KU campus and one in east Lawrence.

The KCATA also announced Thursday that it has formed partnerships with the University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City Art Institute and Metropolitan Community College to provide a U-Pass to students.

The all-access transit pass allows students to access all RideKC buses for travel to and from school as well as for employment, entertainment and shopping throughout the Kansas City region.

This is the first year that the Metropolitan Community College and the Kansas City Art Institute are offering the pass to students. In 2011, UMKC started offering the bus passes through a student transportation fee.

The KCATA will host How-To-Ride clinics the weeks of Aug. 21 and 28.

UMKC and Metropolitan Community College students will be able to use their student identification to ride the bus. They swipe the ID as if were a bus pass. Kansas City Art Institute students will need to get a special transit pass from the school’s dean of student affairs.

For route information, go to www.ridekc.org or call the Regional Call Center at 816-221-0660 between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays.

Robert A. Cronkleton: 816-234-4261, @cronkb