Local

Young boy’s actions credited for limiting damage in Shawnee house fire

Firefighters on Sunday credited a 7-year-old boy with limiting the damage to a neighbor’s house in Shawnee after a fire broke out.

The fire was discovered shortly before 11:45 p.m. Saturday at a house near Nieman Road and West 49th Terrace in Shawnee.

Daryn Duncan was the first to notice the fire. He told his family and prompted a 911 call and a dash next door where the residents of the burning house were unaware of the danger.

When firefighters arrived and found smoke coming from the front door of the house.

One person suffered minor burns while trying to extinguish the fire. The person was treated at the scene.

The fire was caused by an improperly installed wood-burning stove and caused an estimated $1,500 in damages.

“This fire could have been much worse if it had not been for this young man’s quick thinking,” said Shawnee Fire Marshal Corey Sands. “The family is able to stay in their home tonight because we were alerted to the fire so quickly.”

  Comments