Food left on stove causes Overland Park house fire

An Overland Park resident suffered the effects of smoke and carbon monoxide inhalation early Tuesday after unattended food on a stove ignited a house fire.The fire broke out about 5:30 a.m. in the 10200 block of Melrose Drive.The resident told fire investigators that he had been cooking and left food unattended on the stove, according to the Overland Park Fire Department.The man discovered the fire after smoke alarms began sounding.The official cause of the fire is still being investigated.The man was taken to an area hospital for treatment of minor smoke and carbon monixide inhalation.The man at first refused to go until firefighters safely retrieved his dog from the house.The fire, which was brought under control in 15 minutes, was contained to the kitchen, although minor smoke damage was found throughout the house.The official cause of the fire is still being investigated.Fire officials reminded people to never leave food cooking unattended. They suggested people turn off the if they must leave the kitchen.Robert A. Cronkleton, bcronkleton@kcstar.com

MAP: Fire damages Overland Park home

View Early morning fire damages Overland Park home in a larger map