Kansas City fire crews temporarily evacuated a building at 712 Broadway on Wednesday afternoon after work crews encountered chlorine in the basement.
HazMat was called to the scene and Broadway was closed in the area during rush hour.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
Officials said work crews drilling to install fiber optic cable struck a container of chlorine and possibly mineral spirits, sending potentially harmful fumes into the building. The situation was quickly contained.