Settlement reached in explosion death of Independence woman

The son of a Missouri woman who died in a home explosion near Cheney Reservoir in Kansas has reached a confidential settlement in a wrongful-death lawsuit.

The settlement approved Thursday in Reno County Court ended a lawsuit filed after Mary Lou Hemmy's death in October 2011.

The 60-year-old Independence, Mo., woman was killed when the owner of a home she was visiting turned on an electric furnace, causing an explosion and fire.

Her son, Troy Hemmy, sued Service Gas Inc., Sigg Plumbing LLC and Daniel Sigg, all of Andale, Kan. He had sought $2 million; the terms of the settlement were not disclosed, The Hutchinson News reported. The defendants denied any wrongdoing.

Homeowner Melissa Settle had been having repeated problems with the pilot light on her water heater and Daniel Sigg recommended she buy a new hot water tank, according to court documents. Gas was leaking under the foundation of the home and the pilot light problem continued with the new tank.

Sigg suggested turning on the furnace would draw gas through the line to the hot water tank, the petition stated.

Settle, Sigg and Settle's daughter were injured in the October 9, 2011, blast.