Focus shifts to funerals, court appearance in Ottawa murders

After a week of fast-moving developments in an Ottawa, Kan., quadruple homicide, the pace slowed mercifully Sunday, allowing those closest to the tragedy to prepare for the next grim steps.

Family members of the dead planned commemorations, investigators worked to positively identify a small body they recovered late Saturday, and a man charged in four deaths waited for his next court hearing in a case that shocked the small Kansas community.

Investigators said Sunday they believe 18-month-old Lana-Leigh Bailey was killed at the Franklin County farm where the bodies of her mother, Kaylie Bailey, and two men were found, and then her body was left in Osage County. The men were identified as Andrew Stout, 30, and Steven E. White, 31.

A member of the Bailey family said Sunday that a celebration of life was being planned for later this week at an Ottawa funeral home. A visitation for mother and daughter will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Dengel & Son Mortuary, 235 S. Hickory St. in Ottawa. The funeral will begin at 2 p.m. Thursday.

The search for Lana-Leigh ended late Saturday when a deputy from neighboring Osage County found human remains, Franklin County Sheriff Jeff Richards said early Sunday. He did not say how or where the body was found. Investigators had not yet made a positive identification, but Richards said that the body likely was that of Lana-Leigh because of evidence recovered at the scene that confirmed information investigators had gathered previously.

“The family needed to have this so they can move on,” Richards said at a Sunday news conference. “This helps bring some closure to them. It helps bring closure to all of this investigative team. A crime like this takes an emotional toll, especially when it’s a child.”

Kyle Trevor Flack, 27, remained in custody Sunday with bond set at $10 million.

Flack faces capital charges that could bring a death sentence. He also is charged with rape and criminally possessing a firearm. He is scheduled to appear again in Franklin County District Court at 1:30 p.m. today.

Flack previously had been convicted of attempted murder in Franklin County, and a January 2006 order in that case noted that he “has a history of mental health issues.” Such issues usually are a critical concern for both prosecutors and defense lawyers in capital cases.

Flack made his first court appearance late Friday afternoon and asked to meet quickly with his court-appointed lawyer, a Topeka death penalty specialist. Flack then made a comment that suggested today’s hearing could be anything but routine.

“The sooner I see him the sooner we can wrap this up,” Flack said.

Related stories from Kansas City Star