Local

No batteries in smoke detectors in fatal Cameron fire

The house in Cameron, Mo., in which a father and his two young children died in a fire a week ago, had no working smoke detectors, fire officials said today.

Detectors were found in the kitchen, dining room and a child’s bedroom, but none had batteries, according to Mike O’Connell, spokesman with the Missouri Division of Public Safety.

The victims were identified as Robert Borchardt, 36, Chelsey Borchardt, 9, and Tucker Borchardt, 7. When police and firefighters responded to the Aug. 17 fire call, they found no blaze, only a “smokelike” odor.

Investigators think the smoldering fire started in the kitchen area around the stove.

  Comments