No charges in Aisha Khan case

Overland Park Police are not pursuing criminal charges against Aisha Khan after her disappearance that triggered a police and volunteer search across the city, officials said today.

After six days of searching, police made contact with Khan on Wednesday and verified that she was not being held against her will and was not a victim of a crime.

At this point, police said she will not face charges because the case was not reported as a crime.

“In this case no crime was reported. It was reported as a missing person,” said Overland Park Police Spokeswoman Michelle Koos. “She didn’t call us regarding anything and quite frankly the family didn’t either. Officials on the (KU Edwards) campus contacted us.”

Overland Park Police Chief John Douglass also addressed the subject on his blog this morning with a headline reading “Safe is all that really matters.”

“I know there are probably a lot of unanswered questions regarding Aisha Khan. The most important fact for us all to remember is that she is safe. Everything else is now a personal family matter and we respect their privacy,” Douglass said.

Douglass also thanked everyone who dedicated their time to the search effort.

“In the end, one that was missing has now been found,” he said.

The 19-year-old Olathe woman disappeared Friday, after leaving a frightening message on her sister’s phone. Khan had been studying on the University of Kansas Edwards Campus when she left a message saying that she had slapped a man who tried to kiss her. Her sister drove to campus and discovered Kahn’s book bag and cell phone on a picnic table where she had been studying.

Dozens of law enforcement officers from Overland Park and several other agencies dedicated considerable working on the case.

Hundreds of volunteers also helped.

Family members, who had faced hours of intense questioning, had pleaded for help from the public.

Family members expressed relief Kahn was safe, but had little information to share today.

“The fact is, she’s alive, she’s well. We believe our prayers have been answered,” said a family friend, Aamer Trambu. “We do not have enough information yet, and we cannot tell you any more.”

Related stories from Kansas City Star