Local

Discarded smoking materials caused Olathe apartment fire

Olathe fire officials said today that carelessly discarded smoking materials apparently caused an apartment fire Friday that displaced people living in 36 units and caused an estimated $750,000 damage.

Firefighters were called to the Ridgeview Apartments, 1850 N. Lennox Drive, about 4:20 p.m.

Investigators believe the fire started on a third-floor wooden deck and spread up the building’s vinyl siding and into the attic.

Not all the affected units were damaged by fire but officials had to shut off electricity for the entire building. The fire department said apartment managers hope to have some residents back in 18 units later today.

  Comments