Local

Lightning blamed for fire that damaged Olathe business

A lightning strike is being blamed for starting a fire that damaged an Olathe business, a fire official said this morning.

A fire investigator determined that lightning struck the metal roof deck at One Hour Heating and Air at 1804 E. 123rd St. just before 8:30 p.m.

Dispatchers received a 911 call from a person reporting that there was smoke around the business. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke inside the building’s garage area, according to fire officials.

Firefighters located the fire in a storage room above some offices adjacent to the garage. They kept the fire from spreading outside of the storage room.

The fire caused an estimated $40,000 in damages.

Related stories from Kansas City Star

  Comments