Local

Carbon monoxide leak from portable generator sends four from Olathe to hospital

A portable generator is suspected of causing a carbon monoxide leak Saturday that sent four people from Olathe to the hospital.
A portable generator is suspected of causing a carbon monoxide leak Saturday that sent four people from Olathe to the hospital.

A portable generator is suspected of causing a carbon monoxide leak that sent four people from Olathe to the hospital.

Firefighters found the four suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning just after 7 p.m. Saturday near Weaver and Oak streets in Olathe.

The patients, between the ages of 9 and 51, were taken to area hospitals, Olathe officials said.

A portable generator being used as a temporary electrical source following local storms was the source of the carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.

Firefighters took the time Saturday to remind residents to:

▪ Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents.

▪ Make sure to have carbon monoxide alarms in the home.

Toriano Porter: 816-234-4779, @torianoporter

  Comments