Local

Two of 125 victims remain hospitalized from Atchison chemical spill

Drone captures chemical plume over Atchison

A chemical leak at an Atchison, Kan., plant Oct. 21, 2016, was created by an “inadvertent” mixture of sodium hypocholorite and sulfuric acid, city manager Trey Cocking said Friday afternoon. The leak was reported shortly after 8 a.m. Oct. 21, crea
Up Next
A chemical leak at an Atchison, Kan., plant Oct. 21, 2016, was created by an “inadvertent” mixture of sodium hypocholorite and sulfuric acid, city manager Trey Cocking said Friday afternoon. The leak was reported shortly after 8 a.m. Oct. 21, crea

Two people — one of them an employee at MGP Ingredients — remained hospitalized Saturday after a chemical spill at the company sent a toxic chlorine cloud over the city on Friday.

An apparently accidental mixture of sodium hypochlorite and sulfuric acid at the MGP plant between 10th and 14th Streets created a dangerous chemical fog that covered downtown Atchison and sparked evacuations and highway shutdowns.

A total of 125 people were transported to area hospitals for treatment, officials said Saturday evening. By Friday evening, officials estimated that 87 people were treated at hospitals.

Twenty-one patients were sent to Mosaic Life Care in St. Joseph after the incident. All patients treated Mosaic have been released, a hospital spokesman said on Saturday.

At least 104 patients were treated at Atchison Hospital. Two remained hospitalized on Saturday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

In a statement released Saturday, MGP officials said employees treated at the hospital in Atchinson have been released except for one who was still receiving treatment on Saturday.

“MGP cares deeply about the health and safety of our employees and our community,” the statement read. “Following the incident Friday morning, Oct. 21, at our plant in Atchison, Kansas, we have worked hard to make sure the immediate situation has been resolved.

“Likewise, we continue to work closely with the appropriate regulatory agencies to fully understand the cause and mitigate the chance of a similar incident occurring in the future.”

A delivery error caused chemicals to mix at the plant around 8 a.m. Friday morning.

Toriano Porter: 816-234-4779, @torianoporter

  Comments