Fannie's African Cuisine opens on Troost Avenue
Here's the monthly roundup of what's happening in the Kansas City-area restaurant scene.
▪ Afterword Tavern & Shelves, bookshop, bar and cafe, 1834 Grand Blvd. Scheduled to open June 20.
▪ Andy’s Frozen Custard plans to open in the redeveloped Metcalf South, now known as 95Metcalf South, at 95th Street and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park, and at 10641 State Line Road. Fall openings.
▪ Baramee Thai Bistro, 1810 Baltimore Ave. Early June opening.
▪ Betty Rae's Ice Cream, River Market, 412 Delaware St., Suite D. Summer opening.
▪ Big Momma's Bakery-Cafe, 4707 E. Bannister Road. By June.
▪ Big Whiskey's American Restaurant & Bar, 9100 W. 135th St., Overland Park. Early July opening.
▪ Black Stag Brewery, 623 Massachusetts St., Lawrence. Late September opening.
▪ Cacao Restaurante, relocating from Prairie Village to 1046 W. 103rd St. Mid-July opening.
▪ Caleb’s, breakfast and lunch, Red Bridge Shopping Center, Red Bridge and Holmes. No opening date was available.
▪ Caramelo, tortilleria, 1901 Massachusetts St., Suite F, Lawrence. This summer.
▪ The Campground Bar & Grill, 8 Westport Road. No opening date was available.
▪ City Barrel Brewing Co., 1916 Grand Blvd. Late 2018 opening.
▪ Coach's hopes to open at 9201 Wornall Road.
▪ Cracker Barrel, 6751 E. 163rd St., Belton. Fall opening.
▪ Culver's, a franchisee plans to open at the southwest corner of 87th Street Parkway and Loiret Boulevard, Lenexa. No opening dates were available.
▪ The Dapper Doughnut, a gourmet doughnut shop, Legends Outlets Kansas City, 1811 Village West Parkway, Suite O-123. Opening soon.
▪ Distrikt Biskuit House, 3915 Troost Ave. Summer opening planned.
▪ Duck Donuts, Ranchmart North, 3630 W. 95th St., Leawood. Early summer opening.
▪ Dunkin' Donuts. A new franchisee has signed an agreement to open three locations and is currently looking in Sedalia and Warrensburg for 2019 openings but also is looking at sites in Kansas City.
▪ East Forty Brewing, 1201 W. Main St. Mid-June opening.
▪ Farina by Michael Smith, 1901 Baltimore Ave. Late 2018 opening.
▪ First Watch, 1077 S.W. Missouri 7, Blue Springs. Plans to open by the end of the year.
▪ Flow House, Interstate 35 and Armour Road. Summer 2019 opening.
▪ Flying Horse Taproom, 600 E. 63rd St. An expansion of the building that houses its sister business, Brookside Wine & Spirits. Early summer opening.
▪ Fox and Pearl, 2143 Summit St., by the owners of Hank Charcuterie in Lawrence. September opening.
▪ Freestyle Poke, 509 Delaware St. Early June opening.
▪ Freezing Rolls, BluHawk in Overland Park, and Ward Parkway Restaurant Pavilion. June openings.
▪ Golden Ox, West Bottoms, 1600 Genessee St. Opening soon.
▪ Grinders, 733 New Hampshire, Lawrence. Hopes to open in June. It also plans to roll out a new food truck in June.
▪ Hurts Donut Co., Ward Parkway Restaurant Pavilion, 8807 State Line Road. June opening.
▪ I am, a frozen dessert bar, 14357 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park. By the owners of the nearby Pad Thai. July opening.
▪ IHOP, 1135 N.E. Coronado Drive, Blue Springs. No opening date was available.
▪ Johnny Kaw's Yard Bar, 4115 Mill St., Westport. Summer opening.
▪ KimChee, 3107 Gillham Road. Early June opening.
▪ Made in KC Eats, food truck patio, 509 E. 18th St., plans to open this spring. Three or four food trucks would set up for lunch Fridays and Saturdays. It also will have a shipping container bar.
▪ Made in Kansas City Marketplace, Country Club Plaza, 306 W. 47th St., retail shop, food hall. A late June or early July opening.
▪ Martin City Pizza & Taproom, 4000 Indian Creek Parkway, Overland Park. May 26 grand opening.
▪ Mean Mule Distilling Co., 1733 Locust St. Hopes to open by late July.
▪ Meat Mitch Barbecue, Ranchmart North, 3600 W. 95th St., Leawood. By the end of the year.
▪ Meshuggah Bagels on the first floor of One Light Luxury Apartments in the Power & Light District. Late June opening.
▪ Mission Taco Joint, 5060 Main St. No opening date was available.
▪ Old Chicago Pizza + Taproom, One North development at Interstate 35 and Amour Road for a December opening, and 10920 N.W. Ambassador Drive for an early 2019 opening.
▪ Our Daily Nada, 304 Delaware St. Mid-June opening.
▪ Panera Bread, 1211 E. North Ave., Belton (in the former Bob Evans space), according to the city of Belton.
▪ Pearl Tavern, 1672 N.W. Chimpman Road, Lee's Summit. Mid-June opening.
▪ Pickleman’s Gourmet Cafe, 25 E. 12th St. No opening date was available.
▪ Ragazza Main, 4301 Main St. Late summer.
▪ Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews, 8501 N.W. Prairie View Road. May 30 opening scheduled.
▪ Rise Biscuits Donuts. Plans to open five shops in the next five years in the metro and Lawrence.
▪ Rock-afire, arcade bar, 334 E. 31st St. Soft opening Friday, May 18.
▪ The Savoy, 219 W. Ninth St. Summer opening.
▪ Shack Breakfast & Lunch, 7218 College Blvd., Overland Park, and 7940 W. 135th St., Overland Park. Early to midspring openings.
▪ Shake Shack, Country Club Plaza, 239 W. 47th St. Fall opening.
▪ Starbucks, 6304 Brookside Plaza. No opening date was available
▪ Summit Grill, 601 N.E. 70th St., Gladstone. Late summer.
▪ The Sundry, 10000 Marshall Drive in Lenexa, and in Commerce Tower, 911 Main St. No opening dates were available.
▪ Sweet Charlie's, Legends Outlets, 1843 Village West Parkway, Suite M-107. June opening.
▪ Tropical Smoothie Cafe, BluHawk, 15933 Antioch Road, Overland Park. May 25 opening.
▪ True Food Kitchen, Country Club Plaza, 4749 Pennsylvania Ave. Early 2019 opening.
▪ Velvet Freeze Daiquiris, 1827 Vine. No opening date was available.
▪ Wahlburgers is teaming up with Hy-Vee to open 26 restaurants, as well as in the 84 Hy-Vee Market Grille locations. No opening dates were available.
▪ Waldo Thai Place, 8431-8438 Wornall Road. No opening date was available.
▪ Wing It On is looking at Shawnee locations.
▪ Zavino, an Italian-themed restaurant, Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, 3200 Ameristar Drive. No opening date was available.
▪ Banksia, Australian bakery and cafe, 105 W. Ninth St.
▪ Broadway Deli, 2101 Broadway.
▪ Cupcakin' Bakery, Oak Park Mall, 11185 W. 95th St., Overland Park.
▪ Fannie's African & Tropical Cuisine, 4105 Troost Ave.
▪ Fuji Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Best Host Inn Plaza, 5701 Longview Road.
▪ Kneaders Bakery & Cafe, 12180 Blue Valley Parkway, Overland Park.
▪ Kobi-Q, 1531 Grand Blvd.
▪ Krab Kingz, 240 N.E. Barry Road. It also has a midtown location.
▪ Mac's Fish & More, 6200 Troost Ave.
▪ Park Street Bakery, 103 E. Park St., Olathe.
▪ Pho La La, 44 N.E. Sycamore St., Lee's Summit.
▪ The Reef, 9600 N.W. Polo Drive. Soft opening for lunch only, dinner service will start in June.
▪ The Restaurant at 1900, 1900 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Mission Woods.
▪ Sailor Jack's Snack Shack, 424 Westport Road.
▪ The Sjokolade Bar, Oak Park Mall, 95th Street and Quivira Road, Overland Park.
▪ Sweet and Simple, Brookside, 326 W. 63rd St.
▪ Bella Napoli's coffee shop has shuttered in Brookside. The owner is expanding the restaurant and market.
▪ Dean & Deluca, Town Center Plaza, 4700 W. 119th St., Leawood. Plans to close May 21.
▪ Doughnut Lounge has closed in North Kansas City and downtown Overland Park.