Here’s a look at what’s happening in restaurant news around the Kansas City area. The opening dates are subject to change.
▪ Afterword Tavern & Shelves, libations and books, 1834 Grand Blvd. Fall opening.
▪ The Ainsworth, Park Place, 11563 Ash St., Leawood. Fall opening.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Andy’s Frozen Custard, 10816 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Shawnee. Late October opening.
It also plans to open in the redeveloped Metcalf South, now known as 95Metcalf South. It has a site under contract at 10641 State Line Road but no opening date was available. It also is looking at sites in Liberty, North Kansas City and Overland Park.
▪ BKS Artisan Ales, 633 E. 63rd St., Suite 120. The owners hope to start brewing in late August.
▪ Black Dirt, a new restaurant by the owners of Justus Drugstore, plans to open by the holidays at 5070 Main St.
▪ The Bar at Red Bridge, 666 E. Red Bridge Road. Restaurant officials did not return phone calls.
▪ Blaze Pizza, 11991 S. Blackbob Road, Olathe. No opening date was available.
▪ Brady’s Public House, 5424 Troost Ave., in the former Mike’s Tavern spot. Hopes to open Friday.
▪ Brookside Barrio, 6227 Brookside Plaza. Fall opening.
▪ Brookside Pizza & Taproom, 600 E. 63rd St., in a building that houses its sister business, Brookside Wine & Spirits. Construction has started for an early 2018 opening.
▪ Casual Animal Brewing Co., 1725 McGee St. Hopes to open by the holidays.
▪ Culinaria Mediterranean Kitchen, small plates of Mediterranean-inspired cuisine, 512 E. Ninth St., Suite A, Lawrence. Sept. 5 opening.
▪ The Dollhouse Lounge & Theater, 1916 Grand Blvd. The owner is out of the country and couldn’t be reached for comment.
▪ Dunkin’ Donuts plans to open in Price Choppers at 22350 S. Harrison St., Spring Hill in late September, and 501 S. Commercial Drive in Bonner Springs in mid-January.
▪ E.J.’s Urban Eatery, 1414 W. Ninth St. Plans to open around Aug. 23.
▪ Elly’s Brunch & Cafe, 4800 Main building, Suite 101, formerly the Board of Trade building. Elly’s officials have not returned phone calls but the landlord said it could open in mid-to-late September.
▪ El Conuco, food truck serving Caribbean cuisine, hopes to roll out by the end of the month.
▪ Empanada Madness, 13135 to 13137 State Line Road. Sept. 3 opening.
▪ Firenza Pizza, Shops at Boardwalk, 8624 N. Boardwalk Ave. October opening.
▪ Flow House, Interstate 35 and Armour Road. July 2018 opening.
▪ Fuji Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Best Host Inn Plaza, 5701 Longview Road. By late September.
▪ George Sterling’s Jazz Bistro plans to open in Kansas City, Kan., in the summer 2018. Owner and chef George Sterling is currently looking at locations.
▪ Ginger Sue’s, NorthWood Shopping Center, in the 2800 block of West 47th Street in Kansas City, Kan. November opening.
▪ Golden Ox, West Bottoms, 1600 Genessee St. No opening date was available.
▪ Grinders, 733 New Hampshire, Lawrence. Hopes to open later this year.
▪ Johnny C’s Deli & Pasta, Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St., Suite 115. Hopes to open by late August.
▪ KC Soda Co. plans to open a shop in the City Market, 20 E. Fifth St., Suite 101 C. By early September.
▪ Kneaders Bakery & Cafe, 621 E. Markey Parkway, Belton, on Aug. 25. A location at 12180 Blue Valley in Overland Park is scheduled to open in early January 2018.
▪ Krab Kingz, 3805 Broadway. Franchisee of the Houston-based seafood restaurant. By mid-to-late September.
▪ Larkburger has signed a lease in the 4800 Main building at 4800 Main St. Fall opening.
▪ Lawrence Beer Co., 826 Pennsylvania, Lawrence. Aug. 25 opening.
▪ Lenexa Public Market will include a Roasterie Cafe and Marilyn’s Mad Treats. Sept. 1 opening.
▪ Louie’s Wine Dive, Liberty Commons. Fall opening.
▪ McAlister’s Deli, Liberty Commons. Fall opening.
▪ McLain’s Market and Deli is going through the Lawrence planning department for a new location at 1420 Crescent Road. McLain’s officials declined to comment.
▪ MOD Pizza Antioch Crossing, 5315 N. Antioch Road. October opening.
▪ The Monarch Cocktail Bar & Lounge, Plaza Vista, 4840 Roanoke Parkway. 4 p.m. Aug. 21 soft opening and grand opening on Aug. 25.
▪ Nature’s Own Market, 1020 Westport Road. Fall opening.
▪ Nomads, coffee and cocktails, breakfast, lunch and snacks operation, 1804 W. 39th St., in the former D.B. Cooper’s space. Fall opening.
▪ Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom, Corbin Park, 6815 W. 135th St., Suite A, Overland Park. Sept. 5 opening.
▪ The Outpost Bar and Grill, 5044 N.E. Parvin Road. Soft opening Aug. 21.
▪ Paleterias Tropicana, University of Kansas Medical Center’s new Health Education Building at the corner of 39th and Rainbow Boulevard in Kansas City, Kan. No opening date was available.
▪ A Papa Keno’s Pizzeria, 1815 Wyandotte St. Mid-September opening.
▪ Parkway Social Kitchen, 616 Ward Parkway. Late summer.
▪ The Pearl, 1744 Broadway. Coda formerly occupied the space. The owner could not be reached for comment.
▪ Pickleman’s Gourmet Cafe, 25 E. 12th St. No opening date was available.
▪ PT’s Coffee Roasting Co., 1101 Indiana, Lawrence. By early September.
▪ Qdoba Mexican Eats, 1931 W. Foxwood Drive, Raymore. By late August.
▪ RedWether food hall, 1707 Locust St. Mid-2018 opening.
▪ Rye, Country Club Plaza, 4646 J.C. Nichols Parkway. Fall opening.
▪ The Russell, 3141 Main St. Fall opening.
▪ Starbucks, Oak Park Mall, 95th Street and Quivira Road, Overland Park. Early October opening. It also is going through planning for a location at 11825 College Blvd., Overland Park.
▪ Steve’s Brats & Burgers, 9801 Troup Ave., Kansas City, Kan. Sept. 9 opening.
▪ Stonewall Restaurant and Pizzeria at 1008 Massachusetts, Lawrence. Later this week.
▪ Texas Roadhouse plans in Edgewood Farms. Fall opening.
▪ T. Loft plans to open in the new Health House, 3924 W. 69th Terrace, Prairie Village. Mid-to-late October.
▪ The new $16 million Restaurant Pavilion at Ward Parkway Center will debut two new restaurants — MidiCi: The Neapolitan Pizza Co. and The Garage — in late September. Charleston’s is scheduled to open in October with other restaurants opening in 2018 in the center at 8600 Ward Parkway.
▪ Ad Astra Market, 5811 Johnson Drive, Mission.
▪ A1 Sushi & Hibachi, 6357 W. 119th St., Overland Park.
▪ AnaMarina Cafe, 809 W. 39th St.
▪ Bayou on the Vine, 1601 E. 18th St. Opened Aug. 15 in the former Danny’s Big Easy spot.
▪ The Big Biscuit, Santa Fe Square, 13505 S. Mur-Len Road, Olathe.
▪ Black Dolphin, 1813 Grand Blvd., jazz venue bar-service only.
▪ Boba Puca, 8610 N.W. Prairie View Road in Zona Rosa.
▪ Cupcakes Unlimited, Country Club Shops, 3518 N.E. Vivion Road.
▪ Dunkin’ Donuts, now inside the Price Chopper at 301 N. Hospital Drive, Paola.
▪ Emilie’s French Teas, tea shop and tea room, 8131 Wornall Road.
▪ Goodcents Deli Fresh Subs, new prototype with drive-thru, 10432 Ridgeview Road, Olathe.
▪ Grandpa’s Casual Gourmet, 7805 W. 151st, Overland Park.
▪ Groundhouse Coffee, 18855 S. Gardner Road, Gardner.
▪ iTap (International Tap House), 403 E. 18th St.
▪ KC Burgers, 2300 E. 12th St.
▪ KC Smashers, Kansas City, Kan.-based mobile truck ice cold lemonade shaken in front of customers.
▪ Luckyberry, 845 Massachusetts, Lawrence. It also has a new Sushi With Gusto operation.
▪ Mission Taco Joint, 409 E. 18th St.
▪ The Mixing Bowl Noshery has relocated to 2934 Southwest Blvd.
▪ MOD Pizza, 1937 Foxwood Drive, Raymore.
▪ Monarch Coffee, 3550 Broadway.
▪ Mud Pie Vegan Bakery & Coffeehouse, 7319 W. 95th St., Overland Park.
▪ Nate & Son’s Cafe, 5531 Troost Ave.
▪ Paciugo Gelato, 13436 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park.
▪ Pinsa Pizzeria & Kitchen, 1694 N.W. Chipman Road, Lee’s Summit.
▪ Pollo Patron, 1310 E. Santa Fe, Olathe. Food truck open weekends in front of Advance Auto Parts.
▪ Roll Roll Ice Cream, Independence Center, 18801 E. 39th St., Independence.
▪ Ruby Jean’s Juicery, Town Pavilion, 1111 Main St., Suite 165.
▪ Rumman Mediterranean Cuisine, 14944 W. 87th St. Parkway, Lenexa.
▪ Sandwich Bowl has relocated in Lawrence to 4821 W. Sixth, Suite K.
▪ Scott’s Kitchen and Catering at Hangar 29, 11920 N. Ambassador Drive.
▪ Simple Science Juices, Corbin Park, 13717 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park.
▪ Slim Chickens at 2412 Iowa St. in Lawrence.
▪ Sully & Hank’s, 602 W. Ninth St., Lawrence. Sister restaurant to Lawrence’s Basil Leaf Cafe.
▪ Swordfish Tom’s, 210 W. 19th Terrace, pre-Prohibition style bar serve only premium spirits and seats only 30 people.
▪ Toppers Pizza, 1100 Mississippi St., Suite C, Lawrence. Aug. 16 soft opening with a grand opening on Aug. 19.
▪ Joe’s Crab Shack, 20001 E. Jackson Drive, Independence. The tables and booths have been removed, a lock is on the door and it is no longer listed on the company’s list of locations. Company officials could not be reached for comment but some national websites have it as closed.
▪ Newport Grill and Paradise Diner, sister restaurants in Prairefire at 135th street and Nall Avenue, Overland Park. Paia Fishmarket had operated in the Paradise Diner space for a short time.
▪ Sam’s Southern Eatery, 10901 W. 75th St., Shawnee, opened this spring but closed earlier this month. It also has a new location in Independence at 11701 W. U.S. 24 highway.
Did you know the metro has about 100 barbecue restaurants? Check out “The A-Z list of Kansas City-area barbecue food trucks, restaurants.”