Business

AT&T is exploring all T-Mobile options

AT&T Inc. is now exploring “all options” regarding its troubled effort to acquire T-Mobile USA, the Dallas-based company said Monday after requesting a postponement of an antitrust trial scheduled for February.

U.S. District Judge Ellen Huvelle approved the motion from AT&T; Deutsche Telekom, which owns T-Mobile; and the U.S. Justice Department, which filed the antitrust complaint against the $39 billion merger in August.

Previously, AT&T and Deutsche Telekom withdrew the merger application from the Federal Communications Commission. Both the FCC and the Justice Department must approve any deal before it takes effect.

“AT&T is committed to working with Deutsche Telekom to find a solution that is in the best interests of our respective customers, shareholders and employees,” AT&T said in a statement.

“We are actively considering whether and how to revise our current transaction to achieve the necessary regulatory approvals so that we can deliver the capacity enhancements and improved customer service than can only be derived from combining our two companies’ wireless assets.”

Separately, Joseph Clayton, the chief executive officer of Dish Network Corp., told Bloomberg News that his company is ready to buy spectrum and customers from AT&T and T-Mobile if they need to divest assets to get approval for the merger. Dish has opposed the merger.

  Comments