Summer is all about outdoor entertaining, and what better way to do it than in color. Even things as simple as lemonade and delicious desserts make for a great party. Just add flowers and colorful accessories to really make it pop. Here are a few quick and easy DIYs to add flair to your next summer soiree.
Serving trays are really useful for an outdoor party. I found a vintage tray and had a piece of glass cut to fit. You can put patterned fabric or paper underneath to customize it. I used a little applique I stitched.
Vintage serving tray
Glass cut to fit
Scrap fabric, paper or embroidery
Hand-painted sugar cookies
Hand-painted sugar cookies are so easy and delicious. Here is a recipe to make your own cookie “paints” you can apply onto the cookie with a brush for colorful works of art:
1. Put 1 teaspoon corn syrup and 1/4 teaspoon water into a small cup. Tint with food coloring and stir well.
2. Paint the unbaked cookies before baking using a small paintbrush.
3. Bake according to the cookie recipe.
Pink lemonade goes great with a colorful and summery dessert party. It’s so refreshing on a hot summer day and has a little tartness that goes perfectly with sweet treats. I love this simple pink lemonade recipe:
1 cup granulated sugar
21/2 cups fresh lemon juice, plus 4 lemons, thinly sliced crosswise, for garnish
11/2 cups superfine sugar
2 cups cranberry juice
1. Bring granulated sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a pan over high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
2. Add lemon juice, superfine sugar, cranberry juice and 11/2 quarts water to a serving container. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 1 day.
3. To serve, add ice cubes to fill and garnish with lemon slices or edible flowers.