When it comes time to create the perfect table for your family and friends, an inviting centerpiece is often the icing on the cake.
But beyond cut flowers in a vase, a number of items can make a centerpiece pop. When looking for ways to perk up your table, whether wood or metal, sand or succulents, allow simplicity and thoughtful presentation to be your guide.
Here are creative ideas for quick and elegant centerpieces.
▪ Go organic. Teak is a popular wood right now and serves as the perfect foundation for a beautiful centerpiece. Fill a wood bowl with elements such as cabbages or apples.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Think metallic. Silver, gold and brass are popular finishes for items such as bowls and candle holders. Incorporate metallic into your centerpiece by mixing small metallic objects with organic materials such as moss.
▪ Consider using sand. Sand is a great vessel filler. Fill a clear vessel with pure white sand and add a single flower or succulent on top to create an effortless yet elegant centerpiece.
▪ Try the unconventional. Use a large candle holder to hold succulents or flowers, or wineglasses to display floating candles. Let creativity be your guide.
▪ Consider herbs. Using herbs is a pretty, affordable and creative way to bring the outdoors in while also incorporating fragrance. Next time you are entertaining, fill a long, low, clear vessel with fresh lavender, rosemary or dill.
▪ Experiment with shape, size, height. One way to create interest is to make vignette groupings. Some of the most successful are done in groups of three. In your grouping, don’t be afraid to mix and vary items by size, shape and height.
▪ Mix materials. It’s one of the best ways to add interest.
▪ Bring the outdoors in. Natural elements — sand, stone, interesting twigs, branches and even moss — can serve as beautiful stand-alone centerpieces or foundations.
▪ Experiment with color. Black is an overlooked color often considered to be drab or depressing. In reality, black can add luxury and elegance to an environment.
▪ Use single items. So often, people think a centerpiece needs to be big and over the top. Sometimes the strongest statements can be made with a single item or stem placed in a beautiful bowl or vessel.