▪ Clean artificial flowers. Place them in a paper bag with 1/4 cup salt and shake them.
▪ Freshen garbage disposal. Pour 2 cups of ice into the disposal, topped with 1/2 cup salt. Turn on the tap and run the disposal for 15 to 20 seconds. The ice will clean gunk off the blades, and the salt will help scrub everything.
▪ Remove baked-on foods. Sprinkle the offending pan with salt; wet it down, then let it soak. Once the salt has lifted away the stuck-on food, rinse the pan with soapy water.
▪ Pre-treat grease stains. Rub salt into the spot as soon as you notice it. The salt should absorb the grease. Then wash the garment as usual.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ Deodorize canvas shoes. Sprinkling salt inside canvas shoes absorbs moisture and helps reduce funky scents.
| Compiled by Traci Arbios, The Fresno Bee