Latest news



PUBLISHED: Monday, Jan. 16, 1967, in The Kansas City Times

Los Angeles — For a half yesterday, the Kansas City Chiefs were very much a part of the Super bowl.

After that, though, they were ground up piecemeal by a football machine known as the Green Bay Packers, which dealt them a punishing 35-10 setback in the first meeting of American and National league teams.

From a shaky 14-10 advantage at the half, the Packers struck impressively for two touchdowns in the third quarter, then coasted home as the Chiefs’ vaunted offense was blinded by a fierce Green Bay line.

From this harrowing 30-minute torture test, the Chiefs learned first hand what the remainder of the N.F.L. has known all along: co-existence with the Packers leads only to eventual destruction.

Turning the tide in a game that proved interesting early for 63,036 spectators was a 50-yard interception return by Willie Wood, who makes a weekly habit of making life miserable for enemy aerialists.

Wood’s steal of a short Len Dawson third down pass intended for Fred Arbanas set the stage for the Packers’ romp. He returned to the Chiefs’ 5, and on the first scrimmage play, Elijah Pitts broke off left tackle to score standing up and the Chiefs had it for the day. …

The Chiefs, who lost for the first time on the road in a 12-2-1 campaign leading to the Super bowl berth, had gone 11 games, counting exhibitions, without tasting defeat in their white jerseys. …

For their winning performance in this one-day spectacular witnessed by an estimated 70 million on two television networks, the Packers picked off the winning player’s share of $15,000. The Chiefs finished the game with the money they were assured for qualifying, $7,500 each.

Green Bay also gained possession of a sterling silver trophy, and went to No. 25 and last place in the upcoming collegiate talent draft. …

Their first ball showing was about all the Chiefs had to cheer about. The rest of Super Sunday belonged to the football machine from Green Bay.

Editor’s note

In their fifth season in Kansas City, the Chiefs combated falling ticket sales and losing seasons to win 11 games and the American Football League championship. They appeared in the first Super Bowl, on Jan. 15, 1967, losing to Green Bay. Only 63,036 fans were in the 100,000-seat stadium, making it the only Super Bowl not to be played before a sellout crowd. The Chiefs would return to the Super Bowl in 1970 — and win.