Daniel Ross-Rieder is a senior at Horace Mann School in the Bronx, New York. He is the sole Contributing Editor on the Horace Mann Record, which won first place last year in the American Scholastic Press Association's competition for the best high school newspaper. He also co-editor-in-chief of the Roar, the school's humor magazine, and Amplify, its magazine of music and culture. He is a trumpeter in the Horace Mann jazz band, which won both best band and best jazz band recognition in New Orleans. He's also an accomplished debater and plays on his school's varsity water polo team. This fall, Dan will enter Harvard.
Feature Writing Winner
Alexandra Auld is a senior at Prosser High School in Prosser, Wash. At the beginning of her junior year, Auld began to write for the local paper, The Prosser Record Bulletin. Now, she writes for both the Record Bulletin and the regional newspaper, The Yakima Herald-Republic. Currently, Auld has published more than 80 articles, coordinated one special-edition insert and organizes/edits a student-contribution section known as The VIBE. Next fall she hopes to pursue a career in journalism, with particular focus on Latin America studies, at Whitworth College in Spokane, Wash.
Alexandra's winning entries:
"In Search of an Edge"
"Tripping the Light Fantastic"
News Writing Winner
Anna Messinger is a senior at Lakota East High School, Liberty Township, Ohio, where she is a managing editor for the SPARK, the student newspaper. She is currently a brown-belt in Shito-Ryu karate and an avid fan of anime and manga, Japanese animation and comics. At school she is a member of the National Honor Society. This fall she plans to attend the Ohio State University to major in communications and to study Japanese.
Anna's winning entries:
Stringing the Emerald Bracelet
Sports Writing Winner
Alisa Cox is a senior at Century High School in Bismarck, N.D. where she is sports editor of the Century Star. Alisa loves to read, write, watch movies, talk, travel and be with her family. Alisa has been on the newspaper staff at her high school, officially, just this year. Next fall, she will attend Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, where she plans to major in communications with an emphasis on print or broadcast journalism.
Alisa's winning entries:
When it's cutting time, Jared Liebelt
Moving Forward with One Leg
- Matt Baker, Columbus North High, Columbus, IN
- Amanda Erickson, Academy of St. Joseph, Brentwood, NY
- Dan Ross-Rieder, Horace Mann High, Bronx, NY
- Jasmine Turcotte, Marathon High, Marathon, FL
- Alexandra Auld, Prosser High, Prosser Wa
- Lyndsay Thompson, Grand Junction High, Grand Junction, CO
- April Wang, Sycamore High, Cincinnati, OH
- Alexandra Auld, Prosser High, Prosser, WA
- Corrie Van Amerongen, Sycamore High, Cincinnati, OH
- Heiko Yang, Lakota East High, Liberty Township, OH
- Kellie Gonzalez, John Jay High, San Antonio, TX
- Rob Wile, University High, Chicago, IL
- Anna Messinger, Lakota East High, Liberty Township, OH
- Amanda Glithero, Ben Davis High, Indianapolis, IN
- Nancy Compier, Truman High, Independence, MO
- Dan Oshinsky, Walt Whitman High, Bethesda, MD
- Ben Reynolds, Dexter High, Dexter, MI
- Jess Williams, Stoughton High, Stoughton, WI
- Alisa Cox, Century High, Bismarck, ND
- Julie Abaray, Lakota East High, Liberty Township, OH
- Jason Doherty, Middletown High, Middletown, MD
- Commentary: Rhonda Criss Lokeman, editorial writer and columnist,
The Kansas City Star
- Features: Jeanne Meyer, managing editor
The Kansas City Star
- News: Steve Shirk, managing editor,
The Kansas City Star.
- Sports: Wright Thompson, sportswriter,
The Kansas City Star
Lorian Hemingway, Hemingway's granddaughter
- Mark Zieman
Editor, The Kansas City Star
- Rick Atkinson, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and historian
In 1982, Atkinson won for The Times the Pulitzer for national reporting. He joined the Washington Post the following year, and in 1999 was the supervising editor for a series that later won the Pulitzer. Last year, he won the Pulitzer for history for his book, An Army At Dawn: The War in Africa 1942-43 and recently wrote In the Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat, which is based on his stint as an embedded reporter in Iraq for the Washington Post.
- Mark Zieman, vice president/editor
- Bill Norton, TeenStar coordinator
- Lisa Lopez, administrative assistant
- Arthur Brisbane, president and publisher