“Deadpool” is one of, count ’em, six superhero movies opening in 2016.
The onslaught begins Friday when Ryan Reynolds stars as Marvel’s snarky antihero. Here’s what’s on the way next (plus all the latest trailers):
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
▪ “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” (March 25): Batman (Ben Affleck now) is mad at Superman (Henry Cavill) for messing up Metropolis back in “Man of Steel,” while Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg) is itching for a fight. We’ll also meet Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) and Aquaman (Jason Momoa) so they can earn their own DC Comics movies someday.
▪ “Captain America: Civil War” (May 6): Yeah, yeah, Cap and Iron Man have a big fight. But the best part, as you can see from the new Super Bowl trailer, is that two Kansas Citians join in: Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man and Don Cheadle as James Rhodes/War Machine.
▪ “X-Men: Apocalypse” (May 27): Oscar Isaac is the mutant who wants to build a better world by destroying ours. It’s up to Xavier (James McAvoy) and the X-Men to stop him.
▪ “Suicide Squad” (Aug. 5): Will Smith, Tom Hardy and Margot Robbie are among the DC Comics supervillain convicts who agree to dangerous missions to get out of jail.
▪ “Doctor Strange” (Nov. 4): Marvel gets magical when Benedict Cumberbatch plays a former neurosurgeon who learns to be a sorcerer defending the world against evil.