The Grammys red carpet is underway. Here’s what we saw.
▪ Rihanna walks the carpet late dressed as a giant pink cupcake in a huge — no, HUGE – gown by Giambattista Valli that must have used up all the tulle in Europe. Cue the memes.
▪ Miley Cyrus sighting! She’s wearing clothes!
▪ Nicole Kidman in a short black Thierry Mugler accessorized her look with hubby Keith Urban wearing all-black Lanvin. They’re so pretty together.
▪ Iggy Azalea snatches best-dressed from Taylor Swift’s nicely manicured hands in a glamorous blue column by Armani Prive. She told the fashion house, “I’d love a lovely blue dress,” and they came through. Just wish she hadn’t let her hair stylist braid her hair into a weird Heidi crown.
▪ Kim Kardashian is wearing a gold bathrobe by Jean Paul Gaultier. Our grandma had one just like this except hers buttoned up.
▪ Jennifer Hudson in a white strapless dress by Tom Ford looks surprisingly under-dressed for the night. The yummy purple lipstick isn’t enough oomph.
▪ Taylor Swift continues her reign as the towering queen of the red carpet in emerald-green Elie Saab and sky-high purple Giuseppe Zanotti stilettos. This woman is flawless every single time. She makes Ryan Seacrest look like a Munchkin standing next to him.
Awwww, Tony Bennett came with his granddaughter. No wait, that’s Lady Gaga in a slinky silver gown slit up to “there” by Brandon Maxwell. Cute couple alert!
▪ Nicki Minaj keeps Ryan Seacrest waiting for his interview while she poses for pics with Katy Perry. “I love Katy. I love her breasts,” gushes Nicki to Ryan. What? What did she say? We couldn’t hear her because we were busy looking at her chest. Someone obviously couldn’t care less if they have a wardrobe malfunction.
▪ Bummer. Katy Perry came without the skarks. But she’s as smashing tonight as she was at the Super Bowl in a heavily beaded Marilyn Monroe-esque dress “fresh from the Paris runway” by Zuhair Murad. Loving the new lavender hair. Until Taylor Swift shows up, she’s best-dressed.
▪ Meghan Trainor brought her dad to the show. So. Sweet. She’s in a black lacy number by bridal designer Galia Lahav. Yeah, we know she was with her dad but she could have shown a little more skin because, well, these are the Grammys not the Tonys.
▪ Chris Brown!!! Yay!!! Burgundy felt hat and matching pocket square, white tuxedo shirt fashionably untucked, bow tie fashionably untied. Love this updated “Ocean’s Eleven” look. Who made those sunglasses, dude?!?! We must have them.
▪ First glimpse of Meghan Trainor in a princess-like gown and it looks like this red carpet is all about the lace.
▪ For her first Grammys red carpet Katherine McPhee wears an Emilio Pucci gown in the color of Pepto-Bismol. But at least she got the memo that breasts are THE big fashion accessory this year. We think she was holding her breath while Ryan Seacrest was interviewing her to avoid a wardrobe malfunction.
▪ Pharrell Williams left the big Mounties hat at home this year and trots out another little-boy pant suit with shorts. We liked the hat better even though this Adidas suit allegedly glows in the dark. Turn down the lights!
▪ Madonna came dressed like a matador in a Givenchy couture costume. Her cups spilleth over. But Gwen Stefani wears black better in a killer pant suit by Atelier Versace with a sparkly web cage holding her breasts back.
▪ First-time nominee Charli XCX let Moschino dress her in a shiny white satin tuxedo with a ring-bearer’s bright pink bow tie and a pink feather boa that kept shedding on the red carpet. She’s molting! “I hate boring fashion so I wanted to wear something 80s and fabulous,” she told E!
▪ Ariana Grande is dressed like she’s going to the Oscars in a sleek-fitting, classy Versace column of white with a slash of silver fabric on one side. We like this grown-up side of Ariana. An early nominee for best-dressed of the night.