Take it from Blake Shelton. He’s never urinated on a mailbox.
Never been to rehab. Never hit rock bottom. Never got caught in his Tennessee home by his ex-wife with a bunch of naked women.
At least so says the “Came Here to Forget” crooner in a sworn declaration in his ongoing $2 million libel lawsuit against In Touch Weekly. In Shelton’s long list of rebuttals obtained by Entertainment Tonight, he also says he doesn’t binge drink, doesn’t stumble or slur his words and has never, because of alcohol, been unable to perform his duties as a coach on “The Voice” or elsewhere.
In October, Shelton sued the gossip magazine’s parent company, Bauer Media, over a salacious cover story that claimed he checked into rehab after his split from Miranda Lambert. The Sept. 28 issue featured a large picture of Shelton along with the headline “Rehab for Blake … He Finally Hits Rock Bottom.”
“Not only was I not in rehab or headed to rehab when it was published, but I also do not have a drinking problem,” Shelton says in the declaration. “All of this was false, and went so far beyond prior stories about me that I had previously denied with humor.”
You can wave goodbye to the humor.
In this week’s filing the 39-year-old country singer says he is “furious” to see himself depicted as “a man who cannot function, cannot do his job, and is on the brink of death without treatment.”
Now in a relationship with singer Gwen Stefani, Shelton says he will often joke about alcohol, but that “in no way indicates that I have an actual problem with alcohol.”
The Grammy winner says his reputation is “extremely important” to him, and that the tabloid story jeopardized it.
Shelton also says assertions that his marriage ended last year because he was unfaithful are false.
Bauer argued last year that the story hadn’t explicitly stated Shelton was in rehab — just that sources said he had been urged to enter a program, according to the site Gossip Cop. The publisher is calling for a judge to dismiss the lawsuit, calling the story “substantially true.”