went home from the hospital Friday and is "doing very well,' an NBC spokeswoman said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Kansas City Star
Leno canceled his first "Tonight Show" episode ever Thursday night when he voluntarily checked himself into the hospital. He was discharged from Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center on Friday afternoon. His publicist,
, says doctors held Leno overnight for observation purely as a precautionary measure.
"We are happy to say that Jay Leno is feeling much better and has been released from the hospital. He's anxious to return to work on Monday," the NBC spokeswoman said.
Guttman did not confirm reports that Leno had been struck by food poisoning or dehydration. "I'm not sure that's the case but whatever it was, it certainly was severe enough that he couldn't do the show but it wasn't symptomatic of anything major and he'll be back on Monday," Guttman said.
Leno, who turns 59 next Tuesday, also canceled his two weekend standup gigs in Las Vegas.