As ABC’s “Bachelor in Paradise” franchise tries to figure out exactly what went on between DeMario Jackson and Corinne Olympios in Mexico, both contestants had their own say on Wednesday.
The show brought all the contestants home last week so it could investigate some type of reported sexual hook-up between the two at a swimming pool on the first day of filming. Whatever happened caused a field producer for the show to file a complaint.
The rumor mill is churning full-tilt, fed by unsubstantiated stories from crew and cast members, some of whom suggest Jackson did something inappropriate to Olympios. Other versions of the story suggest both contestants were well aware of what they were doing.
The only consensus appears to be that both were intoxicated at the time – no surprise to fans who know that the show’s shot-slinging Jorge the Bartender, who did not return for the fourth season, became as recognizable as the bachelors and bachelorettes.
“We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of ‘Bachelor in Paradise’ in Mexico,” production company Warner Bros. said in an official statement on Sunday.
“We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action.”
Can you say Dumpster fire?
Jackson issued a statement through his publicist on Wednesday saying his character has been assassinated by the swirling he-said-she-said.
“It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations,” it read.
“I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.”
Olympios has also lawyered up. She issued her own statement on Wednesday, saying she is the “victim” of whatever happened on June 4.
“Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production,” her statement said.
“As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality. As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.”
The show’s host, Chris Harrison, was one of the first out of the gate to issue a statement, asking fans on Monday to be patient while the incident is investigated.
“Normally with a situation like this I would not say anything until the incident is fully resolved, but with all the rumors and misinformation being put out there I don’t find that to be possible anymore,” Harrison wrote.
“There are a lot of competing details in the various press accounts of the incident. And there’s a lot of misinformation out there too. We urge everyone to be patient until the investigation is complete.
“I know in this day and age we want and even expect immediate answers but in this case it’s just not possible. So again I urge you to please be patient and respect the privacy of the parties involved.”
The season was set to premiere on Aug. 8, but whether that happens remains to be seen.