Buffett leaves hospital in good spirits after falling off stage

Jimmy Buffett left the hospital Thursday, a day after he fell off a stage at the end of an Australian concert and was knocked unconscious, Australian television reported.

Buffett departed St. Vincent's Hospital in inner Sydney via a back entrance to avoid the media after doctors gave him the all-clear on Thursday morning, Ten Network television reported.

Medical staff said the singer had suffered a head injury, but added he was in good spirits and lucky to have recovered so quickly from the fall at Hordern Pavilion on Wednesday night.

After singing "It's been a lovely cruise, I'm sorry it's ended," Buffett, 64, fell off the stage and was rushed to a hospital with a head injury.

Security at the concert at the Hordern Pavilion hustled the audience out of the auditorium as the singer lay on the floor in front of the first row. He was taken a hospital about 30 minutes after the accident.

An audience member told the Daily Telegraph of Sydney that it appeared Buffett struck his head and was bleeding as he lay on the floor.

Another audience member in the front row told celebrity website TMZ that Buffett was unconscious for five to 10 minutes and that he had a gash on his head. Paramedics arrived 15 minutes later. Dan Bateman, 30, told The Daily Telegraph that Buffett fell face first off the four-foot tall stage.

"We were in the 10th row and it looked like he did a massive face plant after his encore and pretty much didn't get up,'' Bateman said.

"We were told to leave the premises. No one really wanted to leave because everyone was anxious to know if he survived the fall. Everyone was pretty horrified.''

Buffett's April 30 show at the Sprint Center sold out in less than an hour Monday morning. There is no word on whether his U.S. tour will be affected. This story will be updated when more information is available.

Click here to see TMZ video of the fall

| The Associated Press, The (Sydney) Daily Telegraph and TMZ contributed to this report