▪ WHEN/WHERE: 10 p.m. Friday; at Avaya Stadium, San Jose
▪ TV/RADIO: KMCI-TV (Ch. 38), UniMas; KWIC (99.3 FM), KDTD (1340 AM)
▪ ABOUT SPORTING KC (13-9-9, 48 points): The club can clinch its fifth straight playoff berth with a win or a draw Friday. ... Kevin Ellis (ankle) and Soni Mustivar (hip) did not travel with the team initially. Although coach Peter Vermes said they could join the team later, both are doubtful to appear Friday. ... Sporting KC has three matches remaining in the regular season, which ends Oct. 25.
▪ ABOUT SAN JOSE (12-12-8, 44 points): With two games left on their regular season schedule, the Earthquakes are three points out of the sixth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. They have won only once in the last six games and have the worst home offensive output (16 goals) in MLS this season.
Never miss a local story.
▪ BOTTOM LINE: Sporting KC hasn’t won in San Jose since Aug. 2000, a span of 16 matches, including the postseason. The Earthquakes handed Sporting KC a 5-0 trouncing on Aug. 19, Sporting KC’s only home loss this season.
PREDICTION: San Jose 1, Sporting KC 1