What's coming up next on the MLS offseason calendar
12/23/2013 2:11 AM
12/23/2013 2:11 AM
Since Kansas City woke up on Dec. 8 with an MLS Cup-sized hangover, Major League Soccer has been moving at ludicrous speed.
After the two re-entry drafts, retirements, a flurry of big-name trades and several coaching changes, things should (should
) slow down this week and next for the holidays. (They usually do.)
But things will pick back up again soon. That's because the MLS offseason, really, is about 96 hours total.
Here's what to expect after the first of the year.
• Jan. 1: The international transfer window opens. Any players currently under contract from outside of America can't join an MLS team until after this window opens.
• Jan. 10-14: The adidas MLS Player Combine. The league invited 50 Division I college seniors to participate and compete for league scouts and front offices ahead of the MLS SuperDraft. One player from the Kansas City area was invited: Alex Sweetin (St. Louis University) from Overland Park.
• Jan. 16: The MLS SuperDraft. As of this moment, Kansas City won't pick until the second round. (KC's first round pick belongs to New England). Kansas City's remaining picks are in the third round — #41 (acquired from Toronto for Convey) and #57 (natural) — and the fourth round (#76).
• Jan. 23: Sporting KC will open pre-season training camp in Tucson, Ariz. The camp will last until Feb. 7.
• Feb. 1: Sporting KC vs. Portland. The first friendly of the year for KC is part of the lead-up tothe 2014 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup
. (Neither team will play in the cup itself, only the friendlies before hand.)
• Feb. 15: The team reports to Orlando for a two-week preseason training camp. The camp will last until March 1. During that two-week span, Sporting KC will compete in the 2014 Disney Pro Soccer Classic at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The other teams announced for the eight-team tournament: Orlando City (KC's affiliate club and tournament host), Columbus Crew, Philadelphia Union and Montreal Impact. The rest should be announced soon.The blog will be taking a hiatus for the next few weeks. Hope you and yours enjoy a safe and happy holiday season.