Sporting Kansas City got back to work on Monday morning. No fireworks or fanfare of loud blaring hip-hop announced this development.
Peter Vermes gathered his troops and got back to work.
Speaking of "back to work" -- that's exactly what we're doing with the return of this nightly and semi-regular catalogue of Sporting- and MLS-related links. (Ok, maybesome blaring hip-hop is in order
.) If you're new to this feature -- it's easy. I scourge the world wide interwebz for stories/videos/tweets about Sporting Kansas City and share them with you.**If we seem a little bit rusty, apologies. It's our first links post of the year and I'm coming off a day of illness. (I'm a microchip. I can't have sand in the microchip.)
• This year, Matt Besler is gonna straight need a nickname. Matty Ice is taken. Beez doesn't really quite encapsulate it.
I think "Beast" or "The Beast" should just about cover it don't you think. Especially after you readthis story
. Besler convinced Roger Espinoza, Graham Zusi and Chance Myers to join him and fellow locally-grown players Seth Sinovic and Michael Thomas to stay in KC and train with him. The result? "Those guys," Peter Vermes told The Star's Terez Paylor, "are absolute animals right now."
Kansas City doesn't have a lock on a captain right now, but Myers wasn't shy about putting in a good word for The Beast: "We look to him, on and off the field, to push all of us."
• More on Besler: "It really does bother me that I’m never mentioned [among the best in MLS],"The Beast told Andy Edwards of Talkin' Touches.
• Michael Harrington, once a starter and once The Full 90's defensive player of the year, is trying to fight his way back into the Starting XI this year.
Harrington -- who turned 26 today, Happy Birthday Mikey --told Steve Brisendine of MLSSoccer.com
: "I feel invigorated from the offseason and I’m in a good place mentally right now. I’m going to work hard to keep that mental state where it is. I know if my mental state is good, this is going to be a good year."
• So long unknown trialists. Hello transparency! Sporting KCrevealed the names of six trialists currently in camp
. Three are midfielders (including local boy Matt Kuhn who was cut by D.C. United last week), a centerback, a goalkeeper and a forward from Trinidad Tobago.
I'm gonna miss Trialist #1.I promised myself I wouldn't... cry.
• If you'd like to see video of KC training, check it outhere . If photos are more your speed, check 'em out here
• The U.S. national team is in Panama for a friendly on Wednesday (it's at 7:30 CT on Galavision and ESPN3). It's the last chance for Sporting Kansas City's Graham Zusi and C.J. Sapong to show the U.S. boss Jurgen Klinsmann what they can do. (KC's other Yank, Teal Bunbury, will likely get a chance to play with the U-23 Olympic team in a few months.)
According toSports Illustrated's Steve Davis:
"Graham Zusi has some nice qualities, which is why he's in camp. But being good at a lot of things and not particularly great at anything isn't enough at international level. That's how things looked Saturday. Zusi played expediently enough, moving balls along as Klinsmann has asked. But he didn't look particularly comfortable on the outside (not really his spot at Sporting Kansas City, in fairness) and rarely took on defenders. And he may not quite have the technical quickness or the tackling prowess to play on the inside."
• Speaking of Sapong inan interview with Goal.com
, the MLS Rookie of the Year talked about his success, recent call-up and setting his sights on eventually playing in Europe.
"Obviously, it's every players dream to be playing top-flight football in Europe, and that's one of my dreams. Eventually I want to get there, but I still there are a lot of things that I could learn from being in MLS for a couple years."
• The MLS All-Star Game will not be coming to Livestrong Sporting Kansas City -- this year. Instead, Philadelphia will host gala this year on July 25th. The opponent, however, is still to be determined.Simon Borg at MLSSoccer.com as an interesting idea on who is should
be: a team of Mexican All-Stars.
I have to say, I would vigorously co-sign that idea.
• I count a robust17 different supporter's groups for Sporting Kansas City
. I think that a group in the West Stands should form a group called "We Refuse to Be Part of a Group and We Sit Over Here to Prove It" Group. You know, WRTBPOAGAWSOHTPI. (I admit, I'm really bad at giving things names. "Beast" is about as good as I'll ever do.)
Quick question: Are there more SKC bloggers or fan groups? I think it's a push.
• Today's best Tweets!
"The Veteran @keikamara just got Bullied 3-0 and 4-1 on FIFA!! You sure you want some more Mr. KC?? #TaughtLessonsByTheRookie"
-- FromSporting's rookie striker Dom Dywer
(@Ddwyer). As a soon-to-be-33-year-old FIFA player, the lesson is always "NEVER PLAY ANYONE WHO IS 5 YEARS (OR MORE) YOUNGER THAN YOU!" They have better dexterity and video game reflexes than you do. Trust me.
"Potential headline for soon-to-come story: 'Matt Besler wants to be the best, and will eat your child to do so" #SportingKC"
-- ViaAndy Edwards
"Is it March yet?"
-- ViaLadies of SKC (@LadiesofSKC).