closed last night at midnight, according to a source with Sporting Kansas City.
The club made two splashes during the summer transfer window, picking up designated player Jeferson on loan from Vasco da Gama and defender Daneil Cyrus. The other major move made by Sporting KC wasdealing out-of-favor midfielder Stephane Auvray for cash and a draft pick on Friday
And, while I'm the guy who wrote in May how badly KC needed Auvray in the lineup, I'm a fan of this trade. Mostly because I think getting anything (a 2nd round pick and allocation money for instance) for a guy they'd actually taken off the roster over a month ago is an absolute steal.
Is Kansas City done dealing? Hard to say. The international transfer market is closed (though teams can still pick up players on free transfers), but MLS teams can still make trades (such as the one involving Auvray).
• One area of need for KC is depth could be at centerback. KC have only three available for the next game -- Julio Cesar, Matt Besler and Shavar Thomas. (And Thomas hasn't even suited up for KC since May.)
Aurelien Collin, the starting-CB-when-healthy,tweeted this morning that he hopes to be "100 porcent" in 3 weeks
. That's hardly a definitive statement. I wonder if he'll be back in time for "Aurelien Collin bobblehead night" on Sept. 28. Back injuries are a tricky thing to recover from.
• Speaking of bobbleheads, on Wednesday night the first 10,000 fans will get an Omar Bravo bobblehead.
Of course, Bravo is suspended for the game. Oof.
• Speaking of Wednesday, it's a quick turnaround for the Portland Timbers wholost 2-1 in Houston last night
. Yeah, that's right, they've got a full two days off before the game against KC.
• It'll be a busy (very busy) week at Livestrong Sporting Park. In addition to Wednesday's game, this is a two-match week with another on Sunday night against D.C. United (note, kickoff for that match is 7:30 p.m.). Of course, there's also a concert at LSP shoved in between with the Buzz Beach Ball (featuring Jane's Addiction, Bush and Incubus) on Friday.
• Speaking of concerts, Farm Aid on Saturday was the first concert at the new stadium.Read The Star's review here.
• And then there's this strange schedule anomaly. After next Saturday's match with FC Dallas (Aug. 27, 7:30 p.m.), Sporting won't play another Saturday evening game at LSP this season. Instead: There's a Monday evening game (LA Galaxy on Sept. 5), two Saturday 3 p.m. kickoffs (Houston on Sept. 10, New York on Oct. 15), a Friday Fox Soccer Night in America game (Philadelphia on Sept. 23) and a Wednesday game (Columbus on Sept. 28).
So, there are plenty of open Saturdays on the calendar for that Chivas de Guadalajara friendly.