It's not been a really super busy day around these parts. It's still kind of hot and Sporting Kansas City are still riding a 12-game MLS unbeaten streak. (I keep writing that, cause it's still crazy to type.)
But there are a few notable pieces of news/rumors floating around.
• Shavar Thomas is coming back to Kansas City aftera week-long trial with Portsmouth
. He'll be coming --- wait, what? Portsmouth? I had heard a rumor last week that Thomas had asked for a leave from the team and, since his playing time has evaporated completely, it's not surprising that he's trying to get a new deal.
But Portsmouth? Didn't see that coming.
• Sporting Homegrown player Jon Kempin didn't see the field today as the U.S. U-18s beat Israel 2-0 in the Milk Cup opener. Vancouver's Omar Salgado scored for the U.S.
• Matt Besler and Omar Bravo should be in New York by now, as they prepare to join the MLS All-Star team ahead of the match with Manchester United on Wednesday (7:30 p.m., ESPN2). Besler told me recently that he will be on the first flight back on Thursday to rejoin KC.
It would be nice to see them on the field, but given the fixture congestion coming up, I kind of hope both ride the pine.
• A very interesting rumor is coming from New Zealand:The U.S. women's team will face the Kiwis in a series of friendlies this Fall
with one of the games coming to Livestrong Sporting Park. The report does say the game is only "penciled" in.
• Speaking of friendlies at Livestrong Sporting Park remember the proposed home-and-home with Chivas Guadalajara that was part of the Omar Bravo deal?
Yeah, I sorta forgot it too. Will it happen? Well, I've heard from a source that the game in Mexico this preseason was canceled because of security concerns. As for the return trip, Sporting are looking for a hole in the schedulethis season to put that game. Stay tuned.