According to the Kansas City Business Journal,Sporting Kansas City have sold nearly 11,000 season tickets for the new stadium.
Which, as the story points out, is more than the total seating at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.
•KC's Homegrown goalkeeper Jon Kempin will travel to Portugal later this month with the U.S. U-18s.
The Lisbon International Tournament starts May 19th; the first game for the U.S. is against the Netherlands on May 25th.
• James Starritt (The Sporting Times) and I sat down for a podcast yesterday. We preview the KC-LA game, talk about the team's current situation, the stadium, when Peter Vermes' coaching death watch starts and more. Listen to it atPosterous or iTunes
• Late last night,I made the case for why Stephane Auvray is important to KC's chances of winning.
• Callum Williams will be joined by former Newcastle United defender and FSC commentator Warren Barton for this weekend's KC-LA broadcast.The team has a Q with Barton.
I know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I really hope they've told him not to call the team just "Kansas" like he did during the Man United friendly.
• I'm sure that even the most diehard D.C. hater in KC can sympathize with Steven Goff and Jonathan O'Connell's story in this morning's Washington Post:Struggling with crumbling RFK Stadium, D.C. United is desperate for a new home.
• Excellent column by The Sporting News' Brian Straus:Time for MLS owners to step up and protect their assets.
•The Los Angeles Galaxy will host Manchester City this summer as part of the World Football Challenge.
• The worst-run franchise in sport?It might be the Women's Professional Soccer team magicJack.
But the worst-run moniker stems from something worse than the unfortunately awful name: The league docked the club a point and took away a draft pick for not meeting league standards. The team doesn't have a website, the highest total attendance this season is 1,224 and has apparently lost its coach.
• It started so well, butFlamengo fans have turned on Ronaldinho.
•UEFA charges Barcelona's Sergio Busquets over racial slur and the English FA charges Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson with improper conduct.
• And let's go into the weekend with two nice videos of people failing.