Finally, after an off-season of changes, we'll get to write about proper soccer this week. And write we will -- we've got a jam-packed slate of features, previews and contests.
First, let's recap a bit of news that went by the wayside this weekend. (Apologies, I have been way-laid by design work.)
• The Star'sseason preview plopped on your driveway Sunday morning
. Our super-sub here at the blog Pete Grathoff got it done.
• Yours truly contributeda roster preview
• Our man Terez Paylor got the scoop on the newest Sporting KC player,Brazilian defender Julio Cesar Santos Correa has officially signed
• The Houston Dynamo will host KC in a U.S. Open Cup qualifying match on Wednesday, April 6 at 7 p.m. at the Aggie Soccer Stadium in College Station, Texas.
•Goal.com has tipped Omar Bravo as the Newcomer of the Year
"Bravo looms as the smart choice as he slips into an adventurous Sporting side in desperate need of a ruthless finisher to complete its attacking moves in style."
• Sports Illustrated's Avi Creditorbreaks down each MLS sides' biggest question going into the season
. Not surprisingly, the biggest one for KC is depth and quality at center back.
• SKC president Robb Heineman tweeted over the weekend that another player could be headed to town soon. I'll be at the team's media day this afternoon and will report whatever I learn.
• Sports Illustrated's Steve Davis remembered to do his research on Kansas City this season (as opposed to last year when he said KC had stayed quiet in the off-season), buthe's got the Sportos finishing 6th in the East in his MLS preview.
• Goal.com's Kyle McCarthytabs the Sportos as 3rd in the East.
• Tonight, the Cauldron is hosting a Meet The Players rally at Johnny's Tavern in the Power Light District. The festivities start 6 p.m.
•Comets to open MISL playoffs on Wednesday.
•MLS commissioner talks about the league's future with SI's Grant Wahl.
• Jimmy Conrad (and his new team, Chivas) hasn't really had a stellar pre-season.He was sent off on Saturday in a 2-0 loss to FC Dallas and the Little Goats went 3-5-1 and scored only two goals against MLS competition
Have I mentioned yet that Sporting KC opens against Chivas this Saturday?
•Former KC midfielder Jack Jewsbury has been named Portland's captain to start the '11 season.
•Is the MLS Cup returning to Home Depot Center?
•The biggest challenge facing MLS this season is finding TV viewers.
•In closing, here's a huge shocker... David Beckham wants to return to England when his contract is up. Or something.