Something I forgot to mention yesterday in my Training Camp Thoughts: All of the players and coaches were clad in the team's new colors (Sporting, er, Light Blue and Indigo) while the invite-only combine players were wearing the old colors (Cobalt, white and yellow). As the first session ended and the second began, there was a co-mingling of the two palettes. I was stunned. The difference was almost comical. The new colors were so much sharper, crisper and, yes, even sleeker.
Say what you will about the name, crest, etc., but when you put those two color schemes side-by-side, one looks like pro gear selected by a graphic designer, the other looks like high-school gear. (I'm not the only one who noticed.)
Today's Morning Kickoff will focus entirely on Sporting Kansas City. As it should. As it will most of this week. Because, finally, there's actual news to report.
A recap of Day 1...
• In case you missed them, I hada few thoughts on Day 1 of training camp and our inside man Terez Paylor spent some time with first-round draft pick C.J. Sapong.
• James Starritt at SportingTimes.net hashis recap of the first day . He didn't see much of note, but he was so excited about his interview with Craig Rocastle
, he might have missed a few things. (He gets a bit Biblical.)
• Thad Bell with the Back Post got some video time withKei Kamara , Jimmy Nielsen and C.J. Sapong . Thad's also got a great must-watch two-parter with head coach Peter Vermes.
• The team's official siteposted about the combine
, dropping the news that Luke Sassano is rehabbing an ankle injury and the team has added two more preseason games. Kansas City will play the U.S. Under-18 team on Feb. 15 and the Montreal Impact on Feb. 26. Both games will be played in Phoenix.
• Andrew Wiebe has a story on MLSsoccer.comabout trialist Julio Cesar Santos
. I'm going to have to watch him a little more closely than I did on Tuesday. They seem to be fairly high on him.
• Trialists Omar Colley, Sheldon Bateau and Daneil Cyrus all had visa issues and will not join the team until Phoenix. Bummer. I really wanted to see what they had to offer KC in person.
• Signifying absolutely nothing,Sporting Kansas City begin 7th in MLS' power rankings
. Wait, how can the league publish an opinion piece that ranks each of its own member teams without... You know what, never mind.
• Does anyone want to know what my power rankings are for Jason Statham movies? Of course you do: 1) "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" 2) "Crank 2: High Voltage" 3) "Snatch" 4) "The Transporter" and 5) "The Expendables." I'm willing to discuss "War" and "The Italian Job" cracking that list. And by willing to discuss, I mean we should absolutely discuss this next time you see me in person. (Or in the comments.)
All right, enough frivolity, back soccer...
Overheard at Camp
Teal Bunbury on scoring a goal for the United States:"It was amazing. An amazing feeling. It's really tough for me to put it into words, I know it's cliche. But I mean I'm still kind of thinking about it. It's a good feeling."
Omar Bravo on his expectations for himself in 2011:"I have a very big responsibility, but at the same time I am not a magician. I am the designated player, but am I just a piece of the puzzle. I am here to bring my soccer and my experience to the group and hopefully that will bear fruit."
Bravo on his partnership with Bunbury:"It was very good. It's a beginning and it will just get better from here. We got to interact in our offensive movements and we will improve on that."
Bunbury on the fight for playing time at forward:"Competition is good. All professional athletes strive for competition. It brings out the best in all of us."
C.J. Sapong on where he thinks he might fit into this team:"Anywhere in the attacking three. I like the target position where I can be strong on the ball, hold the ball in and allow my other players to get in on the attack."
Michael Harrington looks forward to 2011 and what he needs to improve:"Just looking forward to getting back into it. It's good to get back out here, touching the ball, seeing everybody. It's a big year for our club, new name, new stadium, it's my fifth year and I'm excited to be here." "I want to be on the field. I want to try to play every minute of every game. That's my goal, to help the team. Getting better going forward with my service."
Sapong on his first day of practice:"It's gonna take a while to get used to. It's kinda quick. I was a little antsy at the beginning, but I'm sure my nerves will calm down through the preseason."
Harrington on the challenges of breaking in new people in defense:"Communication. We're gonna have some new bodies back there with Jimmy (Conrad) leaving. It's talking, it's getting acclimated with each other. That back four has to be a unit. When one guy moves, it's got to be automatic that the other guy is moving off that guy."
Today, the team will undergo the beep test (which is a rigorous conditioning test) and some other fitness testing. I won't be in attendance (no live Tweets or camp thoughts today) but I'll be back at it Thursday.