Because we don't get to take a snow day, here's your roundup of a fairly busy and interesting weekend. We're top-heavy with pseudo-Sporting KC news.
Over the weekend, I tweeteda story from Trinidad and Tobago's Newsday
about two young players who will trial with Sporting Kansas City later this month. The news of their trial has already been reported, but now we know they'll be joining the team on Jan. 24.
The duo, Sheldon Bateau, 19, and Daneil Cyrus, 20, are both listed as primarily central defenders.Peter Vermes has said that he feels Bateau can play in the midfield.
• I had a chance to take an exhaustive tour of the stadium with OnGoal's Vice President of Development David Ficklin on Friday. I've finished editing the pictures and will go through my audio recorder this morning. The photo gallery and story should be up this afternoon/early evening.
• Down the Byline sniffed out a story out of Australia on Sunday about the A-League side Perth Glory scouting Sunil Chhetri during the Asian Cup. India got dismantled by Australia this morning, 4-0.* If Perth were scouting him, they got to see him for all 90 minutes.
The Indian striker joined Kansas City last year and made only two appearances (in the U.S. Open Cup against Colorado and in the second-half of the Manchester United friendly) but his future has not been certain since he left Kansas City to join the Indian national team during in August. [Source:Down The Byline
]*To give you an idea of how bad a thrashing this game was, in the dying moments the announcer compared the match to a training ground scrimmage.
• Down the Byline has the list of most-capped Sporting KC players. [Source:Down The Byline
• If I get my voice back (I sound like my mouth is full of cotton and gravel) at some point today, I'll see if I can track down a comment about this story out of Africa that says Nigerian Joseph Atang Thompson is a travel visa away from joining Sporting KC. I'm always a little wary of these reports and it sounds as if the American embassy denying someone a visa is pretty serious. [Source:All Africa
• I'm not allowed to explicitly have a stance one way or another about this topic (since the ad appeared in the publication that pays my bills), but here's some praise of Sporting KC's marketing department. [Source:The Free Beer Movement
• The MLS SuperDraft Combine is in full swing in Florida this weekend.You can follow coverage at the league's site.
Soccer By Ives is there, and he's got separate features on players that have been mentioned as potential draft targets by SKC: Central defendersA.J. Soares and Jalil Anibaba.
• The world's most popular attention hound will not be moving to Tottenham on loan this winter. Instead, David Beckham will just train with Spurs before returning to Los Angeles -- maybe. Spurs boss Harry Redknapp says there are problems with an insurance fee the Galaxy have demanded. Becks was injured during his last loan spell with AC Milan. [Source:The Telegraph
• Becks has reportedly lost a teammate this weekend, as U.S. international and MLS scoring sensation last season Edson Buddle is taking his talents to FC Ingolstadt in Germany's second division. I'm not going to speak out against a player going somewhere to cash a paycheck, but this feels like a slap in the face to Major League Soccer. He goes from one of the biggest-name franchises in America to a second-tier German club.* [Source:Fox Sports
]*Also a slap in the face for MLS: Instead of just coming back to MLS where he'd find regular work and media attention, Freddy Adu is on trial with Ingolstadt right now.
• American Jonathan Spector, playing as a central midfielder, was the star Yank abroad this weekend, scoring a goal to lead West Ham United past Barnsley in the FA Cup. [Source:Soccer by Ives
Read more on the FA Cuphere.
•Cristiano Ronaldo is good.
•A package of bullets
was sent to Celtic coach, winger.
• Thierry Henry back to Arsenal?For training to keep in shape for the 2011 season of course.
•Saudia Arabia fires coach after 2-1 loss
to Syria in Asian Cup. Yikes.
• An unnamed Premiership club is going togive Diego Maradona a "firm offer?"
It's true according to, of course, Maradona himself.
• During the celebration after Stevenage toppled Newcastle United 3-1 in the FA Cup, defender Scott Laird was laid out by a fan. Ugh.