The highlights from Wednesday’s day in Chiefs camp, along with an injury report.
The Chiefs concluded training camp at Missouri Western with a short, non-padded practice. … Quarterback Alex Smith was efficient and on point, completing 13 of 14 passes in 11-on-11 team portions of practice. … Smith found tight end Travis Kelce on four of his completions. Four more of his completions of went to running backs. … Chase Daniel completed five of 10 passes with an interception. … Aaron Murray completed two of four passes with an interception. … Daniel threw a couple of nice touchdown passes. The first was to Adam Schiltz on a slant, and the other was to fellow Mizzou grad L’Damian Washington on a jump ball fade, which he caught over rookie corner Marcus Peters. Kelce made a gorgeous one-handed catch with his right hand. … Smith concluded the team period with touchdown throws to Frankie Hammond and Jeremy Maclin. … Receivers Chris Conley, Jason Avant and Frankie Hammond all got some first-team work. … Running backs Knile Davis and Charcandrick West did, too. ... Paul Fanaika got most of the work at first-team right tackle. ... Daniel Munyer moved up fron third-team center to second-string left guard.
Cornerback Phillip Gaines recorded an interception of Chase Daniel when he jumped a short route near the sideline. … Inside linebacker Derrick Johnson almost had an interception when he bobbled a short Daniel pass over the middle. … Johnson eventually did pick off Aaron Murray on a short throw, however. … Cornerback Marcus Peters got some rare work as the first-string nickel corner in the team session near the goal line. … Peters recorded a deflection when he continued to display the ability to diagnose and break on short routes. … Other defenders who made appearances with the first team near the goal line were cornerback Marcus Cooper, outside linebacker Dee Ford, outside linebacker Frank Zombo. … Defensive end Mike Catapano, safety Eric Berry and cornerback Jamell Fleming also made first-string appearances in team.
▪ Running back Charcandrick West returned to practice Wednesday. He missed Tuesday’s practice because of an illness. Offensive lineman Garrett Frye (knee) returned to practice after missing the last week.
▪ Inside linebacker Justin March, who has a meniscus tear in his knee, missed his third straight practice Wednesday. Inside linebacker Josh Mauga missed his third straight practice because of a heel injury.
▪ Receiver De’Anthony Thomas (calf) and right tackle Jeff Allen (MCL sprain) each missed practice for the third straight time because of injuries sustained in Saturday’s game. Allen, who could be seen wearing a brace on his right knee, and Thomas were both rehabbing on the sideline.
▪ Left tackle Eric Fisher missed his second straight practice because of a high ankle sprain. Safety Sanders Commings missed his second straight practice because of left knee inflammation. They both could be seen rehabbing on the sideline.
▪ Tackle Tavon Rooks missed his second straight practice after leaving Monday’s practice because of what Chiefs coach Andy Reid called “shortness of breath.” He was not on the sideline. Reid said Rooks is still undergoing tests.
▪ Receiver Junior Hemingway missed his 12th straight practice because of a hip sprain. He was not present.
▪ Quarterback Tyler Bray (torn ACL) did not practice for the 17th straight day. He is on the non-football injury list but again observed practice from the side.
▪ Nose tackle Dontari Poe (recovering from back surgery) and tight end Demetrius Harris (recovering from foot surgery) each missed practice for the 14th straight time. Both are on the PUP list, but Harris could be seen rehabbing on the sideline.
Camp in St. Joe has come to a close. All future practices will be at the Chiefs’ facility near Arrowhead and closed to the public.
25 ― Days until the Chiefs’ regular-season opener in Houston, where they will face the Texans at noon.