The Chiefs and NFL
Ranking top 10 players Chiefs may consider with No. 1 pick
02/11/2013 10:23 AM
05/16/2014 9:06 PM
Ranking the top 10 available players at positions of need for the Chiefs, who have the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft:
1. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama. Why not a cornerback with the top overall choice? The Chiefs need one to pair with Brandon Flowers, and Milliner is the best one available.
2. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah. Fans might be weary of the Chiefs drafting at this position, but Kansas City will need some help here, particularly if Glenn Dorsey departs as a free agent.
3. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia. The Chiefs have to solve their quarterback problem one way or another.
4. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas. A backup plan in case the Chiefs don’t believe Smith is the right one.
5. Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M. He makes sense only if Branden Albert leaves as a free agent.
6. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia. The Chiefs are loaded at his position, but top pass rushers are difficult to pass up.
7. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee. He’s not worth the top pick, but the new quarterback is going to need someone to throw to.
8. Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M. He’s probably better off as an end in the 4-3 defense, but can play outside linebacker in the 3-4 and is a strong pass rusher.
9. Chance Warmack, G, Alabama. It doesn’t make a lot of sense for the Chiefs to take a guard with the top pick, but Warmack isn’t just any guard.
10. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson. Like Patterson, the Chiefs would be reaching to get him. But he’s another top receiving prospect.
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.