Here are the highlights from the Kansas City Chiefs’ final open training camp practice on Wednesday, along with an injury report and daily music playlist.
STORY OF THE DAY
Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Alex Smith will play the first half of their upcoming preseason game against Cincinnati, which is scheduled for a 6 p.m. start on Saturday at Paul Brown Stadium. New No. 2 quarterback Patrick Mahomes will handle the third quarter and Tyler Bray will handle the fourth.
DEPTH CHART NOTES
▪ Reid cautioned that some players won’t ssee the field on Saturday. “Everybody will be ready to play,” Reid said, “but not everybody will necessarily play this game like the last game.”
▪ When asked if Mahomes will have an opportunity to play a series or two with the first-string against the Bengals — as Bray did last week against San Francisco — Reid was noncommital. “I have no idea — I get in the game and then just kind of go from there,” Reid said. “That’s how it worked last week with Tyler.”
▪ Zach Fulton might be the Chiefs’ Swiss army knife on the offensive line this year. Fulton, a fourth-year pro who is entering a contract season, logged first-string reps at left guard and right guard Wednesday. Now, Bryan Witzmann and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif are still the starters at those respective positions, but it’s an indication the staff trusts Fulton an immense amount. He figures to be the top backup at both positions, in addition to center, and it appears he might also be an option at tackle in a pinch. Fulton logged some reps at left tackle and right tackle this week — something he’s rarely done during his tenure with the Chiefs — which makes you wonder if the current backups there, Isaiah Battle and Jah Reid, need to step it up.
The Chiefs held a 1 hour, 40 minute practice on a muggy, rain-soaked morning at Missouri Western. They spent most of the session in 11-on-11, but there was no hitting and it didn’t seem to be especially competitive.
▪ Smith hit receiver Chris Conley on a post route over the middle that went for a touchdown. It was a strong, accurate throw and Conley — who has been better recently at catching the deep ball — did a nice job tracking it.
▪ Mahomes was intercepted by cornerback Marcus Peters, who predictably led all Chiefs defensive backs in picks during the open portion of camp. Peters jumped a short route and likely would have taken it for a pick-6 if it was a real game.
▪ Bray had a deep pass down the right side knocked away by safety Ron Parker, who tracked it in the air and broke it up. The pass was intended for fifth-string running back Devine Redding. Parker, 29, is one of the team’s most underrated players, a solid cover guy and willing hitter who works well with fellow safety Eric Berry and helps make the defense go.
▪ Cornerback Steven Nelson returned to practice after missing the previous three with a groin injury.
▪ Cornerback Ashton Lampkin returned to action after missing the previous two practices with Achilles and knee injuries.
▪ Cornerback Terrance Mitchell has missed the last four practices with a hamstring injury.
▪ Berry (sore heel) has missed the last seven open practices. Kicker Cairo Santos (groin strain) and cornerback Jacoby Glenn (concussion) each missed practice for the fifth straight time.
▪ Outside linebacker Tamba Hali (knee), guard Parker Ehinger (knee) and outside linebacker Dadi Nicolas (knee) have not practiced all camp due to their respective injuries.
The open portion of training camp is now over. The Chiefs will travel to Cincinnati to face the Bengals in their second preseason game Saturday.
50: The number of minutes the Chiefs were able to practice outside Wednesday before the weather forced them inside. It marked the first time all camp the Chiefs were forced to move a session to Missouri Western’s indoor practice facility due to the weather.
TOP SONGS PLAYED AT CHIEFS CAMP TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY
“Say That Then” – Problem feat. Glasses Malone
“Ready” – B.o.B. feat. Future
“Why You Always Hatin?” – YG feat. Drake & Kamaiyah
“Bring It Back” – Lil Wayne feat. Mannie Fresh
“Top Back” – T.I.
“Hustlin’” – Rick Ross
“Enter Sandman” – Metallica
“Right Back” – DJ Drama feat. Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan
“Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See” – Busta Rhymes
“Grind State” – Jeezy
“Magnolia” – Playboi Carti
“No Flockin” – Kodak Black
“Let It Whip” – Dazz Band
“Candy” – Cameo
“Outstanding” – The Gap Band
“The Groove Line” – Heatwave
“It’s All The Way Live” – Lakeside
“Billie Jean” – Michael Jackson
“Super Freak” – Rick James
“P.Y.T.” – Michael Jackson
“1999” – Prince
OTHER CAMP REPORTS
Aug. 16: Patrick Mahomes will play third quarter of Chiefs’ Saturday game at Bengals
Aug. 6: Pads off, Eric Berry out