Was it really less than two months ago that the Chiefs were a unanimous No. 1 pick in NFL power rankings?
Now, the Chiefs are rated so low that they are not even among the top six teams in the AFC in most of the rankings. And only six teams make the playoffs. Sure the Chiefs are leading the AFC West, but at this time, few think they will make the playoffs, based on the power rankings.
Here is a look at what eight national observers think of the Chiefs:
▪ Bleacher Report also has the Chiefs ranked 18th, falling four spots. There are eight AFC teams ahead of them. Chris Simms wrote: “Kansas City is no slam dunk to win any of the remaining games down the stretch. It’s a coin flip the rest of the way. That’s amazing considering how hot this team was at the start of the season. Now, though, the offense isn’t good enough, and the defense just plain stinks. Don’t be shocked if the Chiefs miss the postseason.”
Never miss a local story.
▪ The Chiefs are the biggest mover in CBS Sports’ power rankings. Unfortunately, they made the largest drop, falling seven spots to 17th. They are eighth in the AFC. Pete Prisco wrote: “They can’t score anymore. Was the fast start a mirage?”
▪ In the Washington Post’s rankings, the Chiefs only dropped two spots. But it was from 14th to 16th, and the Chiefs are behind seven other AFC teams. Mark Maske wrote: “The Chiefs’ once-promising season is falling apart. And a drastic move, like a switch to rookie QB Patrick Mahomes, could be the only thing that can save it.”
▪ The Chiefs are ranked 18th in NFL.com’s weekly list. That’s a drop of six spots and they are the ninth-ranked team in the AFC. Elliot Harrison wrote: “A few weeks ago, I penned a treatise in this space about not panicking over the Chiefs’ poor run in late October/early November. Yeah, so, it’s totally cool to hit the self-destruct button now. You know, the big circular red one that appropriately matches Kansas City’s hue.”
▪ The Sporting News has the Chiefs ranked 16th overall and eighth in the AFC. “What has happened to the Chiefs? That’s the million-dollar question,” Ron Clements wrote.
▪ The Chiefs dropped to 12th from No. 9 in Yahoo’s rankings. “If the Chiefs win the two home games in Weeks 14 and 15 against their AFC West rivals, they’re very likely to win the division. It just doesn’t look like a team anymore that can make a playoff run,” Frank Schwab wrote.
▪ ESPN has the Chiefs ranked No. 15, which is down five spots from a week ago. “The Chiefs’ offense has disappeared and the defense hasn’t been as strong as it has in recent years, but the special teams units are still firing on all cylinders,” ESPN wrote.
▪ The Chiefs fell five spots to No. 18 in USA Today’s rankings. They are eighth among AFC teams. “Blame Alex Smith all you want,” USA Today wrote. “But Kareem Hunt has gone into witness protection, and Tyreek Hill still doesn’t look like a No. 1 wideout at times.”