Don't Kill The Mellinger
Columnist Sam Mellinger's thoughts on sports and other important stuff
Chiefs 17, Cowboys 16: Insta-reaction
09/15/2013 3:11 PM
09/16/2013 10:48 AM
- I dig the red-on-red. I also think it’s hilarious how sports uniforms turn grown men into fashionistas.
- The Jags are so bad you can’t take much from that game last week. But the Cowboys offense is really, really good. They’re going to score a ton of points this year. They might not go another game all season scoring only one touchdown.
- Chiefs have to get these protection issues fixed. They were better in the second half than the first, but Eric Fisher improving would be a big help.
- Is this a good time to remind you that Alex Smith has played more than 11 games twice in his career?
- Andy Reid’s critics looked smart: Charles only four carries in the first half, so much dink and dunk.
- Looked like the holding call on Eric Berry in the fourth quarter was awful.
- Dez Bryant consistently emasculated Brandon Flowers, which is fine. Dez Bryant is one of the best receivers in the NFL, and the rules are stacked in his favor. But why not give him some safety help? Why not try the bigger Sean Smith on Bryant a little more?
- Good thing the Cowboys went long stretches seemingly forgetting that Dez Bryant played for them.
- Other than the problems with Bryant, the defense was fantastic. Really, throughout the whole game. Dontari Poe backed up last week’s game (at least, it looked like it live. Will look at this more on the replay later tonight and tomorrow).
- Chiefs were good at the line of scrimmage. Tyson Jackson knocked down a pass, they kept DeMarco Murray mostly ineffective.
- I know it’s not Alex Smith’s strength, but I would like to see the Chiefs take a few more shots downfield. Maybe you complete them, but at least get the defense to open up a bit. As it is, they’re getting crowded, not good for Smith or Charles.
- Still weird paying attention to the Royals while the Chiefs are playing. I obviously wasn’t watching the baseball game, but why bring out Guthrie for the eighth?
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.