Pittsburg State senior Jessica Macy finished second overall at the NCAA Division II championships Saturday in Spokane, Wash., achieving All-America honors.
Macy, an Olathe Northwest grad, finished the 6K course in 21 minutes, 2.10 seconds, just behind champion Jennifer Agnew of Mary (S.D.), who finished in 20:50.7. The Southwest Baptist women led area teams with a 12th-place finsh.
Pittsburg State senior Adam Volkert, a Lee’s Summit grad, was the top area finisher in the men’s 10K race, placing seventh in 30:23.20. Central Missouri senior Tyler Stuber, a Liberty grad, finished 35th. Both achieved All-America honors.
Among area teams, Missouri Southern finished 18th and Central Missouri placed 19th.
• Southern Oregon’s Eric Avila and College of Idaho’s Hillary Holt won individual titles at the NAIA championships Saturday at Rim Rock Farm in Lawrence.
Avila finished the men’s 8K race in 24 minutes, 2.45 seconds, helping his team to a second-place finish behind champion Oklahoma City.
Missouri Valley’s Spencer Head was the top area men’s finisher, placing 48th in 25:25.84. Among area teams, Saint Mary finished 22nd, Missouri Valley 23rd and Park 28th.
Holt finished the women’s 5K race in 16:48.13, helping her team to a second-place finish behind champion British Columbia.
Benedictine’s Katherine Dillard was the top area finisher in 18:51.43, good for 54th place. Baker was the top area team, finishing 17th.
• UMKC’s Courtney Frerichs finished 38th at the Division I championships in Terre Haute, Ind, achieving All-America honors.Volleyball
• No. 22 Kansas beat Texas Tech 25-20, 25-21, 25-23 on the Jayhawks’ senior day Saturday and maintained second place in the Big 12 at 12-3 and 22-6 overall.
• Top-seeded Central Missouri beat Nebraska-Kearney 25-27, 29-27, 25-15, 19-25, 15-12 for the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association championship in Warrensburg, Mo.
• Rockhurst lost to Indianapolis 25-23, 18-25, 25-12, 25-20 in the semifinals of the Great Lakes Valley Conference tournament in Romeoville, Ill. In the other semifinal, Truman State beat Lewis (Ill.) 24-26, 25-21, 25-27, 25-19, 15-13.
• Johnson County beat Oakland (Mich.) 25-18, 26-28, 25-23, 25-16 for third place at the National Junior College Athletic Association Division II tournament in Perrysburg, Ohio.
• Park beat Asbury (Ky.) 25-17, 25-15, 25-18 in an opening-round NAIA tournament game Saturday. Also, Wayland Baptist (Texas) beat Ottawa 25-15, 25-15, 25-21. Columbia and MidAmerica Nazarene had opening-round byes.Soccer
• MidAmerica Nazarene and Kansas Wesleyan played to a 0-0 tie in the first round of the NAIA men’s soccer tournament, but MidAmerica advanced by winning a penalty-kick shootout 4-2. Benedictine and Oliver Nazarene (Ill.) also played to a scoreless tie, and the Ravens advanced by winning the shootout 6-5.
Baker beat Midland (Neb.) 2-1 in double overtime, and Park fell to Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 3-1.
• In the NAIA women’s first round, Ottawa lost 1-0 to Cumberland (Tenn.), and Columbia played Vanguard (Calif.) to a 1-1 tie and then lost 4-3 on penalty kicks.| Star news services