Two KC-area players lead all-MIAA volleyball team
11/20/2013 3:03 PM
11/20/2013 3:04 PM
Two former Kansas City area high schoolers led the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association volleyball team announced Wednesday.
Central Missouri setter Julia Bates, a Lansing grad, was chosen player of the year and Pittsburg State right-side hitter Madison Mosier, a Lee’s Summit West grad, won freshman of the year.
The Jennies, who shared the MIAA regular-season title with Washburn, also had the coach of the year, Flip Piontek, and two other first-team selections, including St. James Academy grad Annie Reilly.
Central Missouri is host of the MIAA semifinals and championship. The Jennies play Central Oklahoma and Washburn faces Nebraska-Kearney on Friday with the winners playing Saturday.All-MIAA volleyball first team
• Marissa Cox, right-side hiter, Washburn
• Taylor Goodness, outside hitter, Central Missouri
• MJ Massanet, outside hitter, Nebraska-Kearney
• Erica Rottinghaus, outside hitter, Missouri Western
• Katie Sokolowski, middle hitter, Nebraska-Kearney
• Julia Bates, setter, Central Missouri
• Abby Wittman, setter, Washburn
• Annie Reilly, libero, Central MissouriMineral Water Bowl matchup set
Pittsburg State, which finished 9-2 and ranked 17th in the final Division II football poll, will play Southwest Minnesota State in the 48th Mineral Water Bowl at noon Dec. 7 at Tiger Stadium in Excelsior Springs.
Southwest Minnesota State, of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, finished 7-4. The Mustangs are making their first Mineral Water Bowl appearance. The Gorillas are 2-0 in the game.
Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the gate or by calling 816-519-5627.