Northwest Missouri QB among area college award winners
11/04/2013 5:51 PM
11/04/2013 5:51 PM
Northwest Missouri quarterback Trevor Adams won the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association offensive football player of the week award Monday. He completed 23 of 27 passes for 306 yards and three touchdowns Saturday as the No. 2 Bearcats beat previously unbeaten Washburn 52-21.
• Northwest, 9-0, remained No. 2 in the latest American Football Coaches Association Divsion II poll, behind 9-0 Minnesota State-Mankato. Pittsburg State, 8-1, moved up a spot to No. 6 and 8-0 Emporia State moved up four spots to No. 10. Washburn fell from No. 8 to No. 15. Northwest plays at Emporia State and No. 22 Missouri Western plays at Washburn on Saturday.Volleyball
Kansas State senior Kaitlynn Pelger won her third Big 12 weekly volleyball award of the season, earning offensive player of the week honors. Pelger, an Olathe South grad, led the Big 12 in kills and points last week as the Wildcats beat Oklahoma on Sunday.
• Kansas’ Tayler Soucie, an Osawatomie grad, was the Big 12’s freshman of the week.
• Central Missouri libero Annie Reilly, a St. James grad, was the MIAA specialist of the week.
• Park middle blocker Lauren Purdy was the American Midwest Conference player of the week.
• Rockhurst sophomore right-side hitter Alyssa Arnold is the defensive player of the week in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.Soccer
West Virginia senior forward Frances Silva, a Blue Valley North grad, was voted Big 12 offensive player of the year by the league's women's soccer coaches.
She was joined on the all-Big 12 first team by teammate Kadeisha Buchanan, a freshman who was voted defensive player and newcomer of the year. West Virginia's Nikki Izzo-Brown won coach of the year.
KU midfielder Liana Salazar also made the all-Big 12 first team. Oklahoma State sophomore midfielder Allie Stephenson, a Lee's Summit North grad, made the second team.
• UMKC’s Taylor Bare is the Western Athletic Conference offensive player of the week after scoring two goals in a 3-0 victory over Bakersfield on Sunday. She leads the conference with 13 goals.