Central Missouri’s Jessica Grindstaff was chosen goalkeeper of the week in the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association after shutting out Missouri Western and Northwest Missouri last week. Grindstaff, a Notre Dame de Sion grad from Lee’s Summit, has five shutouts on the season.
• Three MIAA teams are ranked in the women’s basketball preseason coaches’ poll. Emporia State, the defending MIAA tournament champion, is No. 5, Central Missouri is No. 8 and Washburn, the defending regular-season champion, is No. 22. Pittsburg State, Northeastern State and Fort Hays State also received votes.
• Central Missouri’s Kirk Pederson and Southwest Baptist’s Corey McElhaney are the MIAA cross country coaches of the year. The Mules won the MIAA men’s championship and four Southwest Baptist women’s runners earned all-conference honors.NAIA
• Park earned the No. 2 seed in the American Midwest Conference women’s soccer tournament and will play host to Freed-Hardeman at 1 p.m. Nov. 8 in the quarterfinals. Columbia is the top seed and will play Benedictine of Springfield, Ill., in the quarterfinals.
• Columbia was ranked No. 4 in the preseason NAIA men’s basketball coaches’ poll. Evangel was ninth, Culver-Stockton was 18th and Park was 21st. In the women’s poll, Benedictine was ranked 12th and Columbia was 13th.Junior colleges
The Johnson County Community College women’s basketball team is ranked third in the NJCAA Division II preseason poll released Tuesday.
The Cavaliers finished 30-2 last season and lost in the Region VI championship game. Johnson County is host to the NJCAA Division II national tournament March 18-24.
• The Johnson County women’s cross country team won the Region VI championship for a third consecutive year Monday in Hutchinson, Kan. It was the Cavaliers’ second Region VI three-peat and first since 1994-96.
Paige Miller (sixth), Katie Nelson (eighth), Michala Ruder (ninth) and Sydney Simpson (14th) earned All-Region VI honors by finishing among the top 15 runners, and Mike Bloemker was chosen Region VI women’s coach of the year.