Area college honors for Oct. 14
10/14/2013 7:46 PM
10/14/2013 7:46 PM
• Winston Wright, a senior cornerback at South Dakota State, was chosen Missouri Valley Conference defensive player of the week. Wright, who attended Lee’s Summit West, intercepted two passes in the Jackrabbits’ 38-14 victory at Western Illinois on Saturday.
• Pittsburg State’s John Brown and Nate Dreiling swept the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association offensive and defensive football player of the week awards. Brown, a senior receiver, had 12 catches for 199 yards and two touchdowns and Dreiling, a senior linebacker, had eight tackles and an interception that led to a score in the Gorillas’ 31-21 win at Central Missouri on Saturday.
• Northwest Missouri is ranked second and Pittsburg State is No. 7 in the latest American Football Coaches Association Division II poll headed into their Fall Classic showdown Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium.
The two teams are among five undefeated MIAA teams in the top 25, joining No. 4 Missouri Western, No. 13 Washburn and No. 20 Emporia State.
In the NAIA poll, 6-0 Benedictine is No. 5, 4-1 Missouri Valley is No. 6, 5-1 Ottawa is No. 8 and 5-1 Baker moved up one spot to No. 10.Soccer
• Park freshman Sydney Patterson, from Lee’s Summit, is the American Midwest Conference women’s soccer player of the week after consecutive two-goal games. She scored twice in the Pirates’ 4-2 victory over then-unbeaten Hannibal-LaGrange on Wednesday and again tallied two goals Saturday in a 6-0 win at Harris-Stowe State.
• Rockhurst freshman midfielder Kristin Wolff is the Great Lakes Valley Conference offensive player of the week after scoring five points on two goals and one assist in Rockhurst’s wins over Maryville and Missouri-St. Louis last week.Volleyball
• Missouri outside hitter Carly Kan is the Southeastern Conference freshman of the week after averaging 3.70 kills per set in three wins last week by the Tigers, one of two unbeaten teams nationally at 21-0.
Also Monday, Mizzou rose from No. 25 to No. 18 in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association Top 25, the team’s highest since Oct. 23, 2006, when the Tigers were No. 16.
• Kansas, 14-4 overall and 4-1 in the Big 12, entered the coaches’ poll at No. 23 this week.
• Park junior right-side hitter Wanessa Siqueira won her second-straight American Midwest Conference volleyball player of the week award after averaging 5.2 kills and 2.4 digs per set in three matches last week.