The Star's blog on college sports, featuring Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri
KU’s March 1 basketball clash with Oklahoma State will be on ESPN’s ‘College GameDay’
08/14/2013 11:22 AM
08/14/2013 11:41 AM
It was, in a way, mostly expected. Kansas’ road basketball game at Oklahoma State on Saturday, March 1, will be the site of ESPN’s “College GameDay,” the network’s traveling basketball road show.
The day will feature multiple broadcasts from Stillwater, while the game will tip off at 8 p.m., ESPN announced on Wednesday.
It will be KU’s ninth appearance on “GameDay,” and for ESPN, this was a matchup that was hard to pass up. Kansas and Oklahoma State probably will battle for the Big 12 crown this upcoming season, and each team features a potential NBA star.
Sophomore guard Marcus Smart returns to Stillwater after a brilliant freshman season, and KU freshman Andrew Wiggins is a consensus selection to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.
The supporting casts are nearly as good, and the team’s two games last season were instant classics. The Cowboys earned a rare victory inside Allen Fieldhouse in February, while the Jayhawks returned the favor with a double-overtime victory at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
The Jayhawks are no stranger to the Game Day atmosphere. KU has hosted the show a record five times (2005, 2007, 2008, 2011 and 2013) and has been the road team on three occasions (2006, 2010 and 2012). KU coach Bill Self has won four of his previous five games featured on “GameDay.”ESPN “College GameDay” schedule
• Jan. 18: Philadelphia, Pa., 9 a.m., Temple vs. La Salle (11 a.m.)
• Jan. 18: Storrs, Conn., 7 p.m., Louisville at Connecticut (8 p.m.)
• Jan. 25: East Lansing, Mich., 9 a.m. 5 p.m., Michigan at Michigan State (6 p.m.)
• Feb. 1: Syracuse, N.Y., 9 a.m. 5 p.m., Duke at Syracuse (5:30 p.m.)
• Feb. 8: Memphis, Tenn., 9 a.m. 7 p.m., Gonzaga at Memphis (8 p.m.)
• Feb. 15: Lexington, Ky., 9 a.m. 7 p.m., Florida at Kentucky (8 p.m.)
• Feb. 22: Boulder, Colo. or Palo Alto, Calif.^, 9 a.m. 7 p.m., Arizona at Colorado or UCLA at Stanford (8 p.m.)
• March 1: Stillwater, Okla., 9 a.m. 7 p.m., KANSAS at Oklahoma State (8 p.m.)
• March 8: Durham, N.C., 9 a.m. 7 p.m., North Carolina at Duke (8 p.m.)
Join the Discussion
The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.