The Rockhurst men’s soccer team is ranked No. 1 in the NCAA Division II poll for the first time.
The Hawks, 7-0-1, moved up from No. 3 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America rankings after beating Maryville 1-0 on Sunday. They play Quincy at home at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
▪ Rockhurst sophomore Jessica Smelcer is the women’s soccer defender of the week in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. She helped the No. 3 Hawks, 8-0-1, to 1-0 wins over Missouri-St. Louis and Maryville.
▪ Central Missouri senior Emily Eldridge, formerly of Blue Valley Southwest, is the women’s soccer defender of the week in the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association. The Jennies haven’t allowed a goal in a 7-0 start.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Park had two American Midwest Conference players of the week: Wendy Romero in volleyball and William Henry in men’s cross country. Romero was chosen attacker of the week by averaging 5.67 kills per set and Henry, from Kansas City, was fourth among NAIA runners at the Emporia State Papa John’s Invitational.
▪ Pittsburg State junior punt returner Austin Panko, formerly of Lee’s Summit West, is the MIAA special teams player of the week in football. He scored on a 73-yard punt return in a win at Lindenwood.
▪ Truman State freshman running back Jordan Salima, formerly of Truman, is the GLVC offensive player of the week in football after rushing for 125 yards and two scores in a victory over Lincoln.