Instant replay: Another two-bass catch on same lure

08/20/2014 1:56 PM

08/21/2014 11:28 PM

Two bass, same lure Part II

When Eric Smith of Shawnee read last week’s Catch of the Week about an Emporia, Kan., fisherman who caught two keeper bass on the same crankbait, he had an immediate reaction.

I can top that.

It’s pretty difficult to catch one trophy largemouth. But to catch two on the same lure … well, that’s news.

Fishing in the rain with friend Ivan Valdivia on a residential Johnson County pond this spring, he felt something hit the Bomber crankbait he was retrieving. Using 4-pound test line, Smith battled the bass for 20 minutes before he pulled them in.

“I was expecting to see one big bass when I got the fish closer,” Smith said. “ Instead, I had two.

“I was lucky I had just set my drag light before I just started fishing.”

Smith didn’t have a scale with him, but he knows both bass were “hefty.”

Last week’s Outdoors Digest related Kent Schnakenberg’s story about landing two bass — one about 4 pounds, the other 2 pounds — on the same lure while fishing his farm pond in Lyon County, Kan.

One ounce is enough

One ounce was worth $440,000 to Anthony Gagliardi in the FLW Forrest Wood Cup Aug. 14-17 at Lake Murray in South Carolina.

Fishing for the biggest prize in pro bass fishing, Gagliardi came in with a four-day total of 19 bass that weighed 51 pounds, 2 ounces, and won the first-place prize of $500,000. Second-place finisher Scott Canterbury of Springville, Ala., had 51 pounds, 1 ounce, and had to “settle” for a $60,000 payout.

Gagliardi, of Prosperity, S.C., would have had more breathing room if he hadn’t been penalized 4 ounces for bringing in a dead bass. But in the end, he was able to sneak out an improbable victory.

After being disqualified in an early-season tournament for inadvertently breaking the rules, he rallied and tied for the last spot to qualify for the Forrest Wood Cup. He made the most of his chance, fishing deep brush piles and surfacing schools of baitfish in the championship tournament.

Marcus Sykora of Osage Beach, Mo., finished in 31st place in the event, failing to make the first cut. Still, he earned $10,000.

For Canterbury, it was the second time in the last three years that he has finished in the runner-up spot in the Forrest Wood Cup.

Vets fundraiser set

KAMO, a nonprofit organization that takes wounded veterans hunting and fishing, will have its annual barbecue fundraiser Sunday.

The event, which will be based at American Legion Post 370, 7500 W. 75th St, Overland Park, will begin at 6:30 p.m.

The event will include a keynote talk by Shiloh Harris, a retired Army staff sergeant who survived an IED explosion and has gone on to become a motivational speaker and the author of the book “Steel Will.”

Abbey Road, a Beatles tribute band, will provide the entertainment.

Tickets are $49 and will include a barbecue meal. Contact KAMO Adventures at 913-322-9168 or by email at for more information.

Local woman chosen

Candice Price of Kansas City, Kan., the executive producer of the “Urban American Outdoors” television show, has been chosen by the U.S. Forest Service to be on a committee to guide the management of public forests and grasslands.

Price was one of 21 members chosen nationally. She represents youth on the advisory committee. She was chosen based on the work she and her husband, Wayne Hubbard, have done with introducing youth to the outdoors through their “Urban American Outdoors” program.

The cat of the opera

Everyone is a critic. And sometimes, everything.

Ask Kyra Kopestonsky of Placerville, Colo.

She was hiking in the mountains near her home when she heard a twig snap. Looking over, she found herself in danger from an approaching mountain lion, according to a story from

Kopestonsky tried to shake the cat for almost 30 minutes, but nothing worked. So, she started singing opera — loudly.

The mountain lion apparently didn’t like what it heard. It put its ears down, and it started backing away.

Kopestonsky contacted a friend with her cell phone, who in turn called the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office.

Officers raced to her assistance, but the mountain lion left — apparently with its ears still ringing.

To reach outdoors editor Brent Frazee, call 816-234-4319 or send email to

Join the Discussion

The Kansas City Star is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service