Pablo Del Monte will not run; Derby field at 19
05/02/2014 10:10 PM
05/16/2014 1:37 PM
Pablo Del Monte, who drew into the Kentucky Derby field off the also-eligible list when Hoppertunity was declared out of the race, will not contest the first leg of the Triple Crown, his connections said Friday morning.
Pablo Del Monte, third in the Grade I Toyota Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland last time out, would have had to break from the outside No. 20 post in the Kentucky Derby, which had caused trainer Wesley Ward to express concern.
"Breaking from 20 makes it very difficult," Ward said on Thursday.
With Pablo Del Monte not running, the No. 1 post will be left open and all those entrants from posts 1-10 will move outside one position. That provides a little more space for Ken and Sarah Ramsey's Louisiana Derby winner Vicar's in Trouble, who was slated to break from the rail.
Saddle towel numbers, which are also program numbers for wagering, do not change.
Hoppertunity, winner of the Grade II Rebel Stakes and runner-up in the Grade I Santa Anita Derby, was declared out of the Kentucky Derby with a possible bruise in his left front foot, trainer Bob Baffert announced Thursday. Hoppertunity had been installed as the 6-1 second choice in the morning line.
The purse of the Kentucky Derby will remain $2,202,800. The connections of Hoppertunity and Pablo Del Monte both paid the $25,000 entry fee.