Tight end Sean McGrath is plotting a return to professional football, but it won’t be with the Chiefs.
McGrath’s agent, Richard John Owens, told The Star on Wednesday that he notified the Chiefs of his client’s decision to return to pro football. However, McGrath was reinstated from the reserve/did not report list and subsequently released by the team.
“Sean is planning to come back and play football,” Owens said. “We notified the Chiefs of this, and they decided to move on.”
Owens said McGrath, who retired at the outset of training camp last July due to what he cited as a loss of passion for the game, is currently pursuing his master’s degree in art at Henderson State.
Never miss a local story.
“From my perspective, being away from the game for a year, I think he missed it and realized how big of a part of his life football is,” Owens said. “Sean’s been working real hard, he’s been coaching and … he’s been fully immersed in football. He’s ready to get back to it.”
Owens said the 27-year-old McGrath, who caught 26 passes for 302 yards and two touchdowns in 2013, understands the Chiefs’ decision to move. He added that other teams have already contacted him about his services.
“I think Sean loved it with the Chiefs, but he understands he kind of put them in a tough spot last year,” Owens said. “But he’s loved everything about the Chiefs — he really enjoyed working with Coach (Andy) Reid, and it’s a class organization. He’s disappointed he can’t return but he understands their perspective.”